Thursday, January 19, 2012

Why Me? by Sarah Burleton

This is an autobiography of Sarah Burleton, where she tells about her not-so-great childhood. She was born to a mother who didn't want a baby at the time. The unlucky fact that the hospital called Sarah's grandmother instead of mother changed Sarah's life. It's the reason she's alive. It's also the reason she's abused by her mother daily.
There's nothing in this book about Sarah's toddler years. It starts when she's in first grade, waiting to see a rocket ship take off. She needs to use the bathroom, but she's already been a few times and her teacher won't let her go again. Why should she? It's not like Sarah drank two huge glasses of orange juice because her mom didn't give her time to eat her disgusting oatmeal! Things get worse when Sarah's sister, RachelEmily, is born. Sarah's mom is actually ready for a baby this time, so RachelEmily is loved so much. Later on in the story, RachelEmily is hit a few times and she develops a stuttering problem, but it's nothing like what Sarah has to go through. Shoplifting, electrocution, belts, and lots of fists are what awaits Sarah during her childhood.
Sarah eventually meets some older guys and girls and starts to hang out with them. Her mom thinks she's a druggie because of this, but Sarah doesn't care. She has somewhere to stay with people who care about her. Sarah ends up dating and living with the oldest guy until she reaches adulthood, and she eventually breaks up with this guy.
Sarah has had a happy adulthood. She tried to make up with her Mom, but that didn't really work. Sarah calls RachelEmily once in a while just to see how her life is. The ending of her childhood is good, and she tells kids that there is always hope. She says kids who are being abused should stay strong and talk to someone about it, because they deserve better.
I really liked reading this book because it told me that no matter what, you can choose to be happy. It also taught me that there are hard things in life that we have to overcome. I don't know if I recommend this book, though. It has bad language and it is a really violent book. If you don't care about that, and you want to read a book with a few good morals to it, this is a good book for you. You can feel the anger and sadness that Sarah feels when you read this. I give this autobiography a B. It's very well-written, but it's horrific, violent, and there is some bad language. Consider this my warning to those of you who want to read this.

7 comments:

Castiel'sGirl said...

bibliography?? shouldn't it be biography sorry that just really confused me for a second

WillowStorm1723 said...

Technically its right, but it should be autobiography, because the author wrote it about herself. Besides that I thought it was great. And I am interested in reading this book, and this stuff doesn't bother me, but it sounds really good and I want to know more about that kind of stuff.

DJHannahJedi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DJHannahJedi said...

I just messed up, but it's been fixed now.

Diet Coke said...

Good book review!:) It sounds sad! :(

Gage j said...

This woman is basically a fraud . My name is Gage Johnson period and I live with Sarah Jean Burleton for 8 years and in those 8 years I suffered both mental and physical abuse. To a substantial extent it still affects me to this day with my relationship towards women.

Gage j said...

I had forgotten to mention what she has wrote about in her book is more than likely true however the cycle continues with me and it did for eight long years.