Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Scorch Trials By James Dashner


Adventure, mystery, romance! Its all there in the exciting book of The Scorch Trials. This book is written by a creative writer named James Dashner. This is a post-apocalyptic book that takes place in the future. Something to know about this book is that it is the second in a trilogy. The first book is The Maze Runner and is about how boys who don't know who they are have to find their way out of a maze. I strongly suggest reading The Maze Runner before The Scorch Trials.

The Flare. A disease that eats away your brain until you go crazy. The human race is in danger of becoming extinct. A society called WICKED, is trying to save the world by making blue prints of teenagers brains. They put intelligent teenagers through tests to see their reactions. When they do this, they can supposedly find a cure for the flare. In the meantime, Thomas, (an intelligent teenager) and his friends are put into the scorch trials by WICKED. Their mission is to travel 100 miles to the safe haven, which is the end of the trial. But what they don't realize, is things are going to get a lot worse than the maze...

This book was so entertaining, I could never put it down. Although I thought the beginning was a little slow, I loved the rest of the book. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for what would happen next. Sometimes I would even find myself screaming at the book, because I was so into it. I am someone who loves cliff hangers and this book contains many of those. Overall, I was pleased with this book.

I think something the author stressed about in this book was " it's bad to lie." He portrays that by writing about how WICKED lies tremendously to the teenagers. They do this to get them to do the tests. WICKED tells them false information and it leads the kids into trouble. I agree with Dashner and this concept, because lying never gets you anywhere except trouble. Therefore, Dashner is trying to say, "you should never lie."

I also think this book relates to real life situations, because of the trials the teenagers have to go through. The reason the book is called The Scorch Trials is because kids have to go through many hardships. I relate this to my life and many others who have trials and hard times. People have to overcome their fears just like the teenagers in the book did. It just reminds me of a lot of the things people all over the world have too conquer.

I absolutely loved reading this book and loved the way it was written. I will definitely read it again in the future. It kept me entertained and on the edge of my seat. Although this book is good, I would strongly suggest reading The Maze Runner first, and then The Scorch Trials. It will make more sense in the end. This book deserves an A.

6 comments:

Gary Oak said...

This book sounds amazing! I'll be sure to read this and the maze runner!

Unknown said...

Nice! you did a good job. This review made me want to read this book. I'll have to make sure I read this soon

Logan Clarke said...

Cri-Kee,
I haven't read the Maze Runner yet. Your review makes me want to read it so I can get to the Scorch Trials. Would you suggest that I read the Maze Runner?

T WILL 11 said...

Nice review, I probably should have posted my review before I read yours. You had a lot of great points and now I can't copy them! Overall...well done.

dancergirl(: said...

I'm in the middle of reading this book right now, and I am really enjoying it. Can't wait to finsih! have you read the next one after this?

Flounder said...

Nice review! I will have to read maze runner so I can be up to date on the good books around here!:) It sounds like a really good book!