Monday, January 30, 2012

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid Seires

          
The hilarious Dairy of a Wimpy Kid series has been a great joy for me to read, though they are not very long books, as a series, you can spend quite some time reading them. Written by good old Jeff Kinney, the series follows Greg, a stereo typical wimpy kid, he has an over protective mom, he's anti-social, basically not that interesting of a character. As for a plot, the stories didn't really have a consistent plot, which I found to be kind of a drag. As for genres, I wouldn't really classify it as anything more than comedy.
       
               As far as "cartoon like" books go it is quite good, but what was kind of a disappointment to me was the sole fact that the story lacks a follow able plot, making it hard to feel for, or even become very interested in the book. As I read it, I never really thought much about the book, or what the author was trying to say with the book. Although, with much thought and re-reading the books, it seems to really focus on the shear importance of friendship. As corny as it may sound, it is showed throughout the book. For example, just about every book, Greg gets into a big fight with his best friend, Rowley, and realizes that he really does like him. Although he never learns his lesson, because he just does the same thing the next book.

  Another thing that really irked me about the book was that the fact that many issues and interests kept on being brought up throughout the book. Because I feel that most of them either should have been mentioned earlier, or not mentioned at all. For example, in the fourth book in the series, it tells of his desire to ride on a certain ride, and how he had always wanted to do it, and that had never even been spoken of in previous books.
       
          Though the books have their flaws, many good features are present, like one thing I loved, was how it really had a dairy type feel to it. The book really showed the perspective of life from a teenager's point of view, which I found to be a truly ingenious writing style. It really made me feel like I was really reading someone’s diary. Another great thing was the quirky pictures throughout the book. Though the first time I read the book I didn't really pay attention to them, but when I started really looking at the pictures, it amazed me the shear detail shown in the pictures. Every single one looks hand drawn, and so many artistic details, ranging from drawn textures, to brilliant facial expressions. And yet all of them are such stylized and unique cartoons, you can't help but get lost in the pictures when you really look at them.
        
          Like I mentioned before, the books don't really have a "Larger thought" behind them. They are easy and entertaining reads that I recommend for anyone looking for a quick and funny read. Though I wouldn't consider it a children's book, I defiantly wouldn't call it a difficult book. B

No comments: