Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Beyonders, A World Without Heroes By Brandon Mull


The Beyonders is a very exciting book. It was written by the same author of Fablehaven, which was a great series of books. This book was an interesting one; at times it didn't seem like it was a great book but for some strange reason, I didn't want to put it down. I guess that means that it was a good book if I didn't want to put it down.

This book takes place in modern times. Jason Walker is an ordinary teenager who is very smart, athletic, and works in a zoo. One day he was cleaning out the hippo tank when he heard strange music coming from the hippo. He leaned in too close to the tank, fell into the tank, and was swallowed by the hippo. All of the sudden, Jason literally saw light at the end of the tunnel and slid through a rotten log and into a new and strange world.

Jason begins wandering around in his new surroundings. He discovers a building and finds information in the building about a magic word that will destroy the evil emperor who rules the strange world that Jason entered. Jason decided to go on a quest to find the Word and to save the world he had just entered. Along the way he met Rachel, another Beyonder, or someone who came to Lyrian from Earth. Rachel and Jason join together and continue on Jason's quest to find the Word. Their journey isn't easy because the evil emperor Maldor is trying very hard to stop them from succeeding on their quest for the Word. But Jason and Rachel are determined to find the complete word to stop Maldor from continuing his evil works.

This was a very entertaining book. The whole story is sort of like a treasure hunt. You think they will finally finish what they were trying to do, but then a new issue or challenge would appear. The story is constantly on the move and that is what made me like it so much. This book would be a great fishing lure because once the fish, or reader, bites on, there is no letting go.

One thing that I liked is how this book is very clean. There are no bad scenes or swearing so I guess the author likes to keep a clean act and would suggest it to all. Also, in order for the story to happen, there needed to be a strong bond of friendship between the characters. In addition to friendship, there needed to be great amounts of trust. The author leads readers to infer that friendship and trust are very important in real life.

This book suggests that anything is possible. The main characters in this book are faced with many nearly impossible tasks sort of Hercules is. Even faced with the most difficult circumstances, Jason and Rachel always seem to come out on top. The book shows that if you will yourself to do something, you can accomplish the impossible. I strongly agree with that. There are many real life examples of this and I believe that people can accomplish the impossible.

All things considered, I really enjoyed this book. It was thoroughly entertaining and I didn't want to put it down. If you are looking for a fun and action-packed read, you should probably pick this book up. This book has earned an A on the Clarke Scale.

9 comments:

T WILL 11 said...

Mighty nifty review my peachy amigo. I stopped reading these books after the 2nd one, but now I'm thinking I will have to read all of them so I can read this superb sounding book. Smashing review, looks like another bang-up 40 point grade.



Stay hungry my friend.

Logan Clarke said...

I will stay hungry. In fact, I am eating some Pringles right now. Just to clarify, this is the uno book in the series. Dos is being written right now.

Ashlyn said...

I've been told that this is a great book! Thanks for your review! I think I'll try it:)

Jess! said...

I really liked FableHaven so i think I'll give this a try :) It seems pretty good to me!

Cheney #3 said...

Clarke. Mighty fine book review. It sounded kind of like the Fablehaven series to me. You did a great job. And I agree with T. Another amazing 40 point review.

T WILL 11 said...

Oh my bad, I inferred that this was another Fablehaven book. I should have done my homework. Now I am hungry. Stay Beasty,
Your Amigo,
Taylor Messi Williams

Flynn Rider said...

This outstanding book review has revieved an A not only on the Clarke scale but on the Brockbank scale as well. Stay sharp and never eat yellow snow. I learned that the hard way.

Logan Clarke said...

Wow Brockbank, that stinks!
It is a lot like the Fablehaven series but I liked it more.

Mrs. Jensen said...

Brockbank, I would like some evidentiary proof that you ate yellow snow. And Taylor, you wish your middle name was Messi.