Friday, January 20, 2012

Bowling Across America, Mike Walsh



This is a great story. It is a nonfiction story, but it's so much more than that. You can almost say it's about following your heart and being free. In a way it's about self discovery. Now I know what you're thinking, 'Bowling? Who would want to read a story about bowling?' To tell you the truth it's about a lot more than guy driving around the country aimlessly bowling. I mean not to sound cheesy or anything but, it's about his journey.

After the death of his father Mike Walsh sets out to fulfill a dream of his father's. His father always wanted to play handball in all 50 states. But wait isn't this a book about bowling? Well, yes but Mike was a bowler not a handball player. So he put his own twist on his father's dream, instead of playing handball he would bowl. Mike quit his job, withdrew his savings, borrowed his mom's car, and set off on the adventure of a lifetime. Along the way he met several interesting people and heard more than his fair share of amazing tales.

This is a book I can very much relate to being a major bowler myself. I suggest it to all of the people who doubt bowling as a sport and bowlers as athletes. You know who you are. There is a part in the first chapter and it says, "The bowling alley is a gathering place, and much more transpires within its confines than merely a series of sporting contests divided into ten frames." It goes on to explain the various other things that happen in a bowling center. This is perhaps my favorite part. In essence it tells you about how for so many a bowling center is a home. Just before summer my home center closed. Just as Mike's did in the book. I spent more time at Pullman's than I did at home. The friendships and family I created there will last me longer than any other relationship I will make. I did this book review desperately hoping I could get some respect for the sport, and this book really helps with that.

Over all it was an amazing book and I give it an A. There is a warning though. A lot of swear words are used, including the f-bomb. It also talks a lot about sex. There are no sex scenes in the book though. This is not for the faint of heart and I encourage all to read it so you can maybe try to see my point of view on bowling.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good book. Although reading about bowling is fun actually going bowling is much better.

Chidott said...

Sounds like a great book! I will have to give it a shot! Nice review!

Castiel'sGirl said...

@Jordanline54 Haha yeah bowling is the best I practically live at All Star Sandy so if you decide to go bowling there I will probably see you haha

@Chidott thanks! :)