Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Uglies ~ Scott Westerfeld

*Picture to come... my computer is being super demented... sorry about that!*


In the world where Tally calls home there are 5 types of people: Crumblies, Middle Pretties, New Pretties, Littlies, and last but not least... the Uglies. Tally is an ugly; and so is anyone else who is between the ages of 12 and 16. For near your sixteenth birthday, you have an operation and turn "pretty." The life of a new pretty is fun and exciting; you never work and are always partying. Being pretty is what all the uglies dream for. Tally was among them. After her best friend, Peris, turned pretty, she had to sit there alone day after day as she impatiently waited for her 16th birthday. But when that day finally came around, something went terribly wrong. It came down to a choice of betraying her new best friend or turning pretty. Well, in the end she really had no choice. She would have to venture off into the unknown by herself with just a back pack full of SpagBol, a confusing set of directions to the mysterious city of the Smoke.


Her expedition is rough and more then once she nearly dies; but finally she makes it. Once there, she decides she loves it there, even though working is so unusual, and chooses she never wants to leave. Well, she says that... but nothing good can last forever. Apparently bad luck wants to follow her and soon her knew home is under attack by the people who had sent her. How had this happened? It could not have been her fault!? Almost everyone is taken, everyone except for her and David, who are the smart ones and hide. They go back to the city and everything is gone. This is Tally's fault, and she decides to go and save the Smokies. She ventures off once more into an unknown fate, will she make it? I know, but telling you would be totally lame, so you should just find out on your own.


I really loved this book. The cliff-hangers at the end of each chapter just left me there going, "WHAT!? HOW THE!? OH MY GOSH!!" (No joke... you can ask my sister) In turn, this made me never want to put it down , despite the fact that it was like 11. It was really clean and when it comes to the romantic parts; cheesy is all I can say. It made me laugh. I would totally recommend to anyone to read this book because it is just flat out amazing. Also, it makes you stop at some parts and think. When it goes into the detail of the operation and all it does to you, I just stood there in awe. I agree with the Smokies in saying that the operation is a terrible thing. When it makes links to the past (or our time, because this takes place 300 years in the future) you can really relate to it. I loved this book and think it is about time I check out the next one because let me tell you... the ending is a major cliffhanger. But that is all the more reason to read it.


All throughout the book it talks about beauty. Which I could totally relate to. Who decided what was beautiful? Also, it shocked me that these amazing teenagers just wandered around Uglyville all day and moaned about how ugly they were. When Tally visits the Smoke, you really see how their opinions on beauty changes. They strongly don't agree with the operation and think you are beauty in your own skin. I would have to say I agree with this. In our world, we don't have the luxuries of getting an operation to make us pretty and perfect, so the best we can do is accept and love ourselves for who we are. They are so focused on what the world says, they always feel bad about themselves and never have much confidence. This is the problem with the story, it is so true to life, I think it hits home with a lot of people.


Well, you are probably getting bored of reading this... so I will make this concise. Uglies was fantastic and I would suggest anyone to read it. I loved it, I really did and you probably will, too. My advice to you? Don't wait as long as I did to read this book, because you are really missing out.

4 comments:

Santana said...

Hahahaha! Loved the conclusion. You know, I thought about reading this, but it seems like a cliche. I'll have to think about this.

Gary Oak said...

It's a pretty good review however it provides little explanation of who the main character "Tally" is.

galaxygymnast said...

i think that this review is awesome! would you be a pretty or stay ugly?

fluteninja503 said...

Thanks for the imput. Tally is just ablout 16. She is an ugly. At the start she is so sure she wants to be pretty but then her friend comes along and eventually she has no choice. She is going to the Smoke. She is a hard character to eplain because so much of her is not really her... but just what the norm is or what ever. it is hard to explain.. guess you will just have to read it. And Galaxygymnast, that is a good question. I would probably stay ugly because looks are merely for the eyes but getting theoperation can cause so many problems. ANd then you aren't you anymore