Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan









Okay, I read the Lost Hero, but I guess that's kind of obvious. When I told my mom I was reading it, she asked how long it was. I told her it was a five hundred fifty-three page book. I think she nearly fainted!


Anyways, this book is about Greek gods and Demigods(gods mortal children) that live in modern civilization. If you have not read the Percy Jackson series or do not know a bloody thing about Greek mythology, you might not want to read this yet. You will get very confused and lost in the story. Not only that, but you also won't get the jokes or the slang the characters use.


The book starts out with a confusing beginning that introduces us to the three main characters of the story. Jason lost all his memory and knowledge of who he is. Piper is the daughter of a famous actor. Last but not least is Leo. He was orphaned at a really young age after his mom died in a burning building. Alright, back to the beginning. Jason wakes up on a school bus full of juvenile delinquents. The girl sitting next to him is Piper(she thinks they're a couple). In front of him is Leo, who is supposedly his best friend. Now, if I was in Jason's place I would be freaking out. It would be really weird to not know who you are.


So, the kids on the bus are going on a field trip to the Grand Canyon. The bully of the group turns out to be an evil storm spirit, and the chaperon(aka Coach Hedge) is really a satyr(a fat little goat man). Coach Hedge is supposed to protect Jason, Piper, and Leo because they are Demigods. So, in all the hubbub, Jason learns to fly, and Coach Hedge sacrifices himself to save the Demigods.


The three new Demigods are taken to a safe haven called Camp Half-Blood by a girl named Annabeth. Annabeth claimed that she really came to rescue her boyfriend who disappeared recently. His name is Percy Jackson. I loved how old characters from the Percy Jackson series came into this story. It makes it more interesting to me as a reader to have something I'm familiar with.


SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!


Okay, we'll skip a few chapters ahead. Jason finds out he is the son of the Roman form of Zeus, Jupiter. This part confused me because I just didn't get how one thing could have multiple forms. We also find out that Piper is daughter of Aphrodite and can charm speak. Charm speaking is the ability to make people do whatever you want. Also, Leo is the son of Hephaestus and can control fire. The next day, Jason is given a quest to save Hera, the queen of the gods, while Piper is putting up with Aphrodite brats and wondering why her dad went missing. Meanwhile Leo discovered a bronze mechanical dragon and a huge workshop called "Bunker 9".


In the end, Jason finds out a little of who he is, including the fact that his mom is dead, that he has a sister, and that he is supposed to be the key to saving the world. Leo accepts the fact he's an orphan and is grateful for his command over fire. Piper ends up finding her dad and becomes a camp counselor.


I loved this book and just absolutely can't wait to read the next! I recommend this book to people that like fantasy, adventure, action, mythology, and comedy. I wasn't really sure if there was a whole romance between Jason and Piper, but I guess I won't know for a while. So, all in all, this book was really long, but absolutely amazing!

4 comments:

Angsty White Boy said...

I loved this book too! I'm loving the new characters but I miss Percy. Oh well!

Unknown said...

I should read this because the Percy Jacksons' were great.

fluteninja503 said...

If i haven't read thje Percy Jackson series... would this book make any sense to me?

fluteninja503 said...

If i haven't read thje Percy Jackson series... would this book make any sense to me?