Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Emerald Atlas

       The Emerald Atlas was an okay book. It has a good plot and story, but the writing was kind of crappy. Anyway, this book is about three kids everyone calls orphans, even though they're not orphans. These kids, Kate, Michael and Emma, have been shuffled from orphanage to orphanage for a decade. When they were young, their parents had left them at a mysterious orphanage and vanished without a trace.
       When Kate, Michael and Emma mess up at another orphanage, they are sent to a strange island called Cambridge Falls. The orphanage is a huge mansion and they are the only children at Cambridge Falls. When Kate, Michael, and Emma go exploring in the mansion, they find a hidden room where everything seems to shift around. In this room, they find a largish book that is completely empty and has a green cover, hence the name The Emerald Atlas. This green book is obviously magic. If you put a picture into it, the book will transport you to that specific instant. The children discover this book's power when it transports them to a horrible time that they have to fix.
       The Emerald Atlas is a book about family ties, strong bonds, the importance of a promise, and how powerful family love is. I would recommended The Emerald Atlas to anyone. It's intense and strong. It also has a good message behind it. Grade B+

2 comments:

WillowStorm1723 said...

I read this book this past summer, and found it slow and hard to pick back up, but only because of the writing, as you said. I think that the storyline and plot were excellent, just needed to be executed better. I admire the fact that you caught on to the deeper meaning of it, because I was lucky to be able to pick up on the main story. I did still enjoy it, and I think you did a good job portraying this book.

Layla said...

Thank you! I also found the book that way. I got it in July and I'm only just now reading it! I'm going to read try second book once I find out when it comes out.