Tuesday, November 29, 2011

13 Reasons Why.


Let me start off by saying 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher is about suicide. Not ONLY about suicide, but the books is revolved around the subject. The book is a mysterious and suspenseful. Not suspenseful like killing and things like that, but like wondering what's going to happen next and wanting to keep the pages turning.

Hannah Baker is dead. She chose to commit suicide for 13 reasons, and Clay Jensen (a friend/ crush) is about discover them. One day Clay walks up to his house and finds a package waiting for him. Inside are 13 cassette tapes recorded by Hannah. Hannah's instructions are clear: Clay has to listen to the tapes and figure out how he fits into her death, and then send the tapes to the next person on the list of 13 names. There are 13 reasons why she killed herself, and Clay is one of them.

This book was really interesting. The book kept me wanting to turn the pages trying to figure out who was next on the list. I thought that the book had a great storyline and that the author portrayed the characters really well. I also think that the author brought up really good issues. The book talked about suicide, but I think that the real meaning behind it was that you need to help people through their problems or else they might end up like Hannah. This book.. changed me in a way. It made me think about choices that I should make when helping friends and how to treat people so that they don't feel worthless. Now, as much as I loved the book, I will say that there were some mature "scenes" in the book that some people don't want to read. So, if your one of the people that can't handle vulgar stuff, this might not be the book for you.

I thought this book was really good and that most people will really like it. If you like books that you want to keep turning the pages and that have very strong issues in them, this is the book for you. I would definitely suggest this book to anyone I know. This book was one that I think everyone should read because it will change your outlook on life forever.

5 comments:

Ashlyn said...

Sound exciting! I'll have to try it out :D Your intro totally hooked me, too!

dancergirl(: said...

I read this book... liked some parts, didn't like others! overall it was a pretty good book, just a little creepy! don't you agree?

Diet Coke said...

I tried to read this book once.... But I felt it was to sad and a little creepy.. I liked it and it did show life lessons, but I guess it was one of those books where I had to put it down.... I liked your book review!! I might just read it again!! ( or try) haha..;)

Finn. said...

I do agree that the book is creepy. But I pushed myself to keep reading and I really enjoyed it.

Santana said...

I read this book. If you don't like mature scenes about sex and such I wouldn't recommend it! Like Finn, I pushed through it. I thought it wasn't creepy, just a little weird. Good book though!