Sunday, March 25, 2012

Once Upon a Marigold By: Jean Ferris

Once Upon a Marigold was creatively written by Jean Ferris. The book contains a number of genres, romance, fairy tales, princesses, and friendship. It is a story that is filled with good morals and advise.

Edric, is a nice troll that lives in a crystal cave. One fine day, he finds a boy in the bushes who is lost and does not want to go home to his family. After the boy, Christian, refuses to return to his parents, Ed is forced to be Christian's new guardian. Years pass and Christian finds himself looking through a telescope at Princess Marigold more than once a day. He ponders of how he could ever be with her or even speak to her, because he is a commoner and she is a princess. Then out of the blue, he realizes there IS a way to communicate with her... through p-mail. It involves pigeons carrying mail back and forth from one person to another. Christian and Marigold learn more and more about each other through p-mail and become best friends. However, they still can't see each other, at least, not yet. After countless hours thinking, Christian decides to go on an adventure and try to get a job at the castle, just so he can see Marigold. He enjoys his knew life, but ambition gets the best of him. Christian and Marigold end up getting in a heap of trouble.

Once Upon a Marigold was not your usual intense, war fighting book. It is a book that kept me content and happy as long as I was reading it. It did have romance in it and it was a magical fairy tale. However it is a good story and sometimes I found myself laughing at some pretty funny parts.

There are many sayings the Ed says throughout the book that either confuse me or make me actually think about them. One, for example says, (pg. 26) "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the eager beaver." This one I still don't get and I am STILL confused. On the other hand, I DO understand this one, (pg. 17) "He'd buttered his bread, and now he had to lie in it." The author was clearly trying to say to us that whatever choices we make, we will have a consequence. I definitely agree with the author, because all things come with a consequence, whether it's good or bad. There are many other hidden tricks in this book, that I personally believe the author was trying to tell us.

The book is enchanting and I enjoyed reading it, but I also think that it was a little slow. I'm used to up beat books that make you sit on the edge of your seat, while you feel like your falling off a cliff. With this book, I felt content and patient, which every once in a while, I can handle. Maybe everyone needs a slow book every so often. Overall, it pleased me, because if it had not, then I probably wouldn't have finished reading it.

Once Upon a Marigold is a book for those of you who want a simple romance, friendship, and fairy tale story. It was good for me in the end and I am glad I read it. I rate this book a B+, and am excited to read the sequel.


1 comment:

Ashlyn said...

I want to read this book really bad! Thanks for your review!