Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Inheritance is the final book in the Inheritance Cycle, or the Eragon series, which was written by Christopher Paolini. This book starts out with a review of what happened in the 3 previous books; Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr. It reminds its readers about how Eragon started out as a small, insignificant farm boy and became a mighty Dragon Rider, therefore becoming Alagaesia’s (The world where the Inheritance Cycle takes place) last chance at overthrowing the evil king Galbatorix, who is a Dragon Rider, just like Eragon. He killed all the other riders and assumed power as king. He has been ruling for the last century. It picks up with Eragon fighting with the Varden, a rebel force whose sole purpose is to overthrow Galbatorix. All throughout Inheritance, Eragon and Saphira, Eragon’s dragon, have conflicts against Galbatorix and his armies. Eragon and Saphira have come extremely far in their training, further than anyone expected. But even with all the power they have gained, the question still remains if all the training was enough to defeat Galbatorix once and for all, and to finally clean Alagaesia of his evil rule.

Eragon and Saphira go on an amazing journey that takes them to an ancient Dragon Rider city, which holds a deep, dark secret hidden underneath the ruins of the city, and all the way to the most remote part of Alagaesia. They come to learn more about themselves and accomplish more than anyone, including themselves, would ever think possible.

This is an extremely good read, and in my opinion, the best of the Eragon series. Christopher Paolini did a remarkable job describing every scene in the book, to the extent that it felt like I was right next to Eragon throughout his whole journey, experiencing everything with him. Some critics say it wasn’t necessary for Paolini to need 800+ pages for the final book, and that he went off on tangents. But I believe he is such a natural writer that he probably could have written another 800 pages filled with more adventures, and I would have loved to read them all! He has an amazing gift of making all the adventures feel natural and necessary.

An interesting part of the book that I ended up enjoying was how the book switched perspectives between the main characters of the book. Some of these include Eragon’s cousin, Roran, and sometimes even Nasuada, the leader of the Varden.

This is a very well written book and I give major props to Paolini. He did a pretty good job of putting an ending on such a good series. Although difficult, he did a good job of tying up all the loose ends from the series, helping the reader feel at ease with the characters they were saying goodbye to. Although I wish he would have had another book to add, because I would definitely like to know what happens next. Like I already said, this is a very good book and I would encourage anybody to read it. Although, I strongly suggest first reading the first 3 books in the series, as the story will then make a lot more sense and will probably be more enjoyable. This book has a great plot and will for sure keep any reader entertained, as I could not seem to put the book down until I was completely finished with the whole 849 pages of this book. It may seem a bit long, but you are just going to have to take my word on this one; it is definitely worth the read. I give this book an A+!

5 comments:

Parkin' Lot said...

Sounds like a cool series! I read the beginning of book one awhile ago and found it kinda slow-paced. Does the series ever get more action-packed? Is it really worth reading such a long series?

T WILL 11 said...

Mighty tremendous review my astonishing amigo. Myself, just like the astounding Parkin'Lot read the beginning of Eragon in the 5th grade and thought it to be outright and utterly irritating. The book seemed genuinely muted and boring. It sure seems you found it straight-out stupefying. Maybe I will give this uno more gander. Thank you for the insight.
Stay hungry

Jimmer want to be said...

T will how can you not like these books the fourth book starts out in the middle of a huge war. I don't know about you but how can you start a book any better than a huge war. If you think this book is boring than your crazy.

Praying4NoWar said...

This is my third top favorite series, and my fifth favorite book! Great job on the review, by the way! In my reviews, though, I put a little less summary, and more opinions. But that's just me.

Cheney #3 said...

ODE, I ALSO FOUND THIS BOOK BORING WHEN I TRIED TO READ IT. i MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE IT ANOTHER TRY. T-WILL, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR WORD CHOICE OR WHATEVER. STRAIGHT-OUT STUPIFYING? SERIOUSLY?