Saturday, March 31, 2012

Little Women~ Louisa May Alcott

The book that I read this month was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. After reading the seemingly never ending book, I found myself wrapped in the lives of the  poor, but yet so happy March family. As you read through the book, you read about the lives of Mr. and Mrs. March and their four lovely daughters Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. It tells of the many adventures they go on and the ever so abundant trails they have to face. The many different kinds of characters really just make the story though. Meg is the eldest and most motherly of the group. She is beautiful and kind. Jo is an amazing writer but has a short temper which is oft to get her in trouble but she is always trying to be her best. Beth is the quiet, shy girl that you can't help falling in love with. She is the peacemaker of the home and is always quick to help someone else before herself. She loves the piano and plays it quite well which many times brings peace to the home and joy to others' hearts. Amy is the youngest daughter that fancies much in money and riches even though they are few. Many times she feels her age gets in the way and is oft to feel left out. She also has a short temper which causes some trouble with Jo. Although so different they all get along for the most part with the help of their loving, gentle mother who is always watching out for them and helping them to become sensible little women. Mr. March is very much adored by all and many look up to his example. He gave his all for his family even though it is not as much as he wishes and shows nothing but love for his four daughters and lovely wive. These are but a few of the characters that really shape this story and make it unique.

If I had to describe this book in a few words I would say it is entertaining, real-to-live, and just simply grand. Yet, if I had to give it a rating I would give it a B. It was very well written and I loved all the characters it introduced and morals it taught but in the beginning it was boring, slow and hard for me to get into. No worries though becauces once it started moving it just went and was a joy to read. The way the author has written it, you really forget that it is fiction because the adventures, though some rather silly, could really happen in a normal, every day life. You just can't help to laugh when they laugh, cry when they cry, and feel as though you are right there with the March's through everything. Also, as you go through the author has cleverly put in little morals such as anger brings no lasting joy and when you all stand together, then you are all stronger. You learn with the daughters as they slip and their mother gives them clever old lady advice. I feel like this book has taught me many life lessons that I might have not learned otherwise. Throughout the whole book, the author really stresses that money isn't everything and even though you are poor you can still have a life full of joy. I must agree when she says this. Riches, though they may bring joy for a while, will never bring anything more lasting and having people who love you and good memories to look back on is a hundred times more important than some lousy golden ring and endless closet of clothes.  You can really hear the author's voice as if she is telling you the story herself and that makes it a little more personal. I really liked this book even though sometimes the language was a little hard to understand; but that is probably just because it is old and old people/ things get that was some times. I don't know if I would read it again, but I would definitely tell anyone to read it if they are looking for a close to life story that will make them laugh, smile, cry and if you're me, yell at the snotty characters. I loved this book and sure didn't waste my time reading it.

*Like my last few books, there is a movie for this one as well. Since it's probably at least an hour... I will just include the trailer for it and you can find it on Netfllix or something. :)*


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book!! I read it last year and have read nothing but classics sense! You should read some Jane austen books!