Friday, March 30, 2012


"Neither animal nor man, it was a creature the likes of which he had never before seen" (page 2)

The Crowfield Curse is an incredible story. The various twisted and turns that the plot takes do wonders for the story, taking the characters to a depth like a deep, dark well. Pat Walsh, an author that I had never heard of before, became one of my top ten favorite authors of make-believe stories. I simply love this book.
The story focuses on a single boy, William, who works as a servant for an abbey of monks. He has only one brother left after the terrible fire that consumed his family's mill. The monks treat him less than fairly, but I don't think he notices that they sort of fear him. When he finds a mysterious creature in the forest outside the abbey, his oblivious world tears apart at the seams.
This is a great read, and like I said, full of twists and turns. A few of the terms were a tiny bit difficult to understand, but otherwise very clear. Also, there is one chapter that is extremely disturbing and gory. My thanks to Pat Walsh, the author of this fantastic series of two books, I'd give it an A-. The second book is called The Crowfield Demon.

4 comments:

galaxygymnast said...

this book seams really good. and really sad. and scary. good book review! short, but concise. what do you think the theme of the story is?

Abbey Road said...

This sounds like a very interesting book. I liked your review. Very concise, as galaxygymnast said.

WillowStorm1723 said...

I have seen this book on shelves in the library and in book stores, and have been interested in it, but haven't been to motivated to read it. Now I want to go out immediately and start flipping through the pages! Thanks for the great review!

Praying4NoWar said...

Thank you guys! By the way galaxygymnast, I couldn't really find the theme, but I think it was that everything is not always what it seems? Thought that might be the moral...