Saturday, March 31, 2012

Eighth Grade Bites By Heather Brewer

Eighth Grade Bites is the first of a set of books called The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. It was a pretty easy read. It was only a couple hundred pages, and it incorporated fantasy with real life. I think that is the main reason why I finished it so fast.

The story starts out with a chase scene. Mr. John Craig is running from a hungry vampire who is searching for Vladimir Tod. Mr. Craig gets caught, tormented, and eaten. Mr. Craig was, however, successful in keeping Vladimir safe from harm, for now.

Vladimir Tod, or Vlad, is a typical eighth grader, right? Of course not! Vlad is a vampire, or at least part vampire. His dad was a vampire, and his mom was human. His parents died a few years back in a house fire. Now Vlad lives with his Aunt Nelly. It turns out she's not even his aunt, but his mother's best friend. Anyways, Vlad has one friend, Henry, the most popular kid in school. Even that doesn't stop him from being bullied every day.

One afternoon, a new substitute for Language Arts comes in his name is Mr. Otis Otis. With the help of Otis later out in the book, Vlad is able to discover who he really is. He also discovers a hidden vampire world that his dad hid him from.

I honestly thought this is one of the best books I've ever read. It's filled with action, suspense, and a few jokes here and there. It mixes fantasy with every day life to create a truly unique story. I highly suggest this book to anyone that likes vampires(not the sparkly kind).

2 comments:

Diet Coke said...

Good review! I like how you said, "Not the sparkly kind." haha. I tried to read the first one but I just could not get into it. I'll try to read it again, and hopefully I will get into it! (;

pianoninja said...

You'll really like it. It has everything an average eigth grader goes through except he's a vampire.