Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games

First of all, let me just say, Suzanne Collins has created a masterpiece. I just barely read this book, and it took me three days. I would have to argue a little bit about actual story itself. Meaning I don't see why you would write a book about putting a bunch of teenagers in a big arena, and watching them kill each other. However, I must say that even with that problem, I was addicted to this book. So I'm sure most of you have read this book; but if you haven't, read this review!

As usual, the book starts out by giving you background information, and then slowly gets more exciting until you're biting your fingernails, and wishing you could read twice as fast. Katniss Everdeen lives in district twelve in the futuristic country of Panem. The capitol of the Panem chooses two children between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in a fight to the death in a chosen arena. This is known as the Hunger Games. After Katniss's innocent little sister is chosen to be in the Hunger Games, Katniss has no choice but to volunteer to take her place.

She then is transported to the Capitol, where they prep her for the games. Then, they are all flown to the arena. The Hunger Games then begin. Now, I'm going to stop there, because if I tell anymore about the story, I'll probably get too excited and give it away. So if you want to find out how it turns out, read the book. Actually, read the book anyway, you will be glad you did. You'll most likely find it to end unexpectedly, and be wondering if the story has been told, or if it is just beginning.

As expected, the author's style was very unique; however, it seemed to make the story much more exciting. For example, she told the story in first person, but also in the present tense. I have never seen that before, but found it to be very interesting because she is telling the story as she goes, so anything could happen at any given time. Also, there is the theme which she cleverly tied into the story. I think that she was trying to show everybody how much we are under the control and power of the government, and that we need to speak out and stand up for ourselves. And, obviously, it teaches you to never give up, which is a little bit too common in books, I think. However, it did teach me a lot about life and how to deal with certain situations.
To wrap it up, I'll say once again that although the point of the story is a bit disturbing, the story's suspense, along with the author's characterization, style, and details definitely made the story one of the best I've ever read. With that said, I'd recommend it to anyone out there. However, just be careful, because there are some pretty surprisingly violent parts in it. But ultimately, the story just wouldn't be the same without them. And yes, I give it two thumbs up and an A+.

4 comments:

Ashlyn said...

i love this book! it was very well written, and so was your review! :) nice work

msladybug98 said...

I really like this book! I'm planning on reading the rest of the series this summer. Great review!

Flounder said...

I loved this book and I thought the movie was really good too! I hope they make more of the books into movies!

nachocat98 said...

Great review! I would have to agree with you that the idea of putting teenagers into an arena to kill each other is disturbing. You're right though, it's a good book!