Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wither



Wither is literally one of the best books I have ever read! It is about a post-apocalyptic world where they have cured all diseases, even the common cold. But, something happens with the next generation that makes it so every boy dies at age 25 and every girl dies at age 20 of a disease that cannot be cured. The main character Rhine is taken from her home and forced into a polygamist marriage, like many other girls her age, to keep the human population from becoming extinct. Although Rhine has everything she could need and more, there is only one thing she wants. And, that is to escape and get back to her twin brother Rowan. While she is trapped in the mansion, she falls in love with one of the attendants, Gabriel, which isn't the best for Rhine since she is already "married."

The world that the book creates is a little creepy, and, in my opinion, a little immoral. But, when you think about the reason the marriages are going on, it makes it a little better. If girls weren't forced into these marriages then the whole human population would die out and that isn't any better now, is it? If you can get past the creepiness then, this book is amazing. I read the whole thing in one day. There is some mild swearing which I don't think was totally necessary but in a few parts it did show the strength of the emotions the characters were feeling. The author in a way was showing that she is opposed to genetic engineering and the bad effects that it could have on the world if we aren't careful. A greater meaning to this book is that technology can hurt as well as help. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fiction or post-apocalyptic books.

9 comments:

DJHannahJedi said...

I really like this book! Nice summary.

Anonymous said...

This book seems really interesting!

Anonymous said...

I want to read this book so bad because lots of people have said it is so good!:)

Jess! said...

Hello Rocky (: Great review! I LOVED this book!! I'm so glad you read and enjoyed it aswell(:

Diet Coke said...

Oh yeah, you told me you liked this book! It sounds great I shall read it as well! Awesome book report! (:

meeko said...

i liked this book and im reading the next book in the series:)

meeko said...

i liked this book and im reading the next book in the series:)

PurpleNinjaLA said...

Thanks guys. Ya, I really loved this book. I just finished the second one.

PurpleNinjaLA said...

I can't wait for the third book to come out!