Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas- John Boyne

I had been wanting to read this book for a while now, and I'm so glad I did! To be honest, when I first started reading this book I wasn't very into it and I almost stopped reading.

This is a fiction book but it has historical information about the Holocaust that is true. This book is different from other books related to the Holocaust because it's from a different point of view. It made the book very unique. The main "character", Bruno seems oblivious to what's going on around him since he's only 9. 


Bruno's father is a very important man. Even Hitler came to visit him at his house. They are told to move to "Out-With" (Auschwitz) to watch over a concentration camp. Bruno had no idea that he was to live by a concentration camp. He merely thought it was people living on the other side of the fence. Bored with his new home, Bruno decided to go on an adventure and met a boy (Shmuel) while exploring. During the process of reading this book I wished I could have told Bruno how bad of an idea it was to become friends with a Jew at the time. They became close friends and formed a strong bond. Bruno thought it was a harmless friendship, and wanting to be a good friend, he decided to help Shmuel find his "lost" father and finally went on the other side of the fence. Only then did Bruno realize the horrible things that happened there.


There are so many details in the story that you should read for yourself because I feel if I told anything more I might have given some things away. This book was very well written. It only had a few words that I didn't know, but I understood the book fine without knowing what they meant. Also, the words that Bruno used were very confusing to me. Like how Out-With was supposed to be Auschwitz. I didn't figure that out until reading the interview in the back of the book!


I think this book is trying to show that everyone is equal and that no racial group is better than the other. Hopefully nothing as bad as the Holocaust will happen again. This book really made me think about how terrible the Holocaust really was, which is something that I think the author was trying to get us to think about.

4 comments:

msladybug98 said...

This book really makes me think. I've read it before, and all throughout the book I thought, "...and this actually happened." Great book, but sad reality!

Ashlyn said...

I heard that the book is really sad, but i kind of want to read it. I liked your review :)

Finn. said...

I've read this before and it is a great book but it is really sad!

polkadotts said...

I watched the movie and absolutely HATED how it didn't end happy. I definitely don't think this is the book for me.