Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Emma
Jane Austen

This is one of my all time favorite novels by my favorite author. The beloved Jane Austen. In this book Austen proves that love can be found in the oddest places. She uses her wit and creativity to paint us pictures of big beautiful houses and large yards with tables for tea and a garden for walking about. Jane Austen uses her amazing gift once again to write not only a classic and heart warming romance but also a loved and praised comedy.

Emma Woodhouse is who the story most closely follows and she is (as expected) the center of the romance and the comedy of the book. She is a handsome girl who enjoys the pleasures of wealth and a happy home. She has also lived the whole of her life with little worries or conflicts. She is in one word spoiled. However, though I would not go as far as to call her a brat, it is safe to say she has a hard time excepting when things don't go the way she planned. This is proven when her friend Mr. Knightly tells her that her matchmaking will lead to more bad then good. She ignores his warning and sets off to find matching for a few of her friends.

Emma's matches do in fact lead to trouble but in this story trouble leads to happily ever after. This story made me laugh, cry for Emma's sake (though I think i'm the only person in the world that gets that attached to characters) and scream at her for being so stupid. Jane Austen really drew me in as a reader and made me feel as though I was there watching it all unfold which is what any good novel would do.

You can relate this to modern day problems...alright modern day GIRL problems but problems none the less. For any of you out there who have seen Clueless you should know this already. After all Clueless is based on Emma. Anyway, some problems Emma faced are problems girls still face today. Like when you try to make something better for someone but just end up hurting rather then helping. Also, umm...falling in love! That can be a real pain but also it can be wonderful. For her it was a little bit of both. Emma Is a great read and I highly recommend it to anyone! Also, just so you know, the language is a bit easier to understand then her other novels.

3 comments:

Flynn Rider said...

I guess I wanted to leave a comment because my mom loves this book. She's seen like every version of the movie and has seen some of them twice. I guess it's a good book.

Diet Coke said...

My mom loves the movies as well! This author is a genius! :)

Diet Coke said...

My mom loves the movies as well! This author is a genius! :)