Monday, February 27, 2012

Unwind By Neal Shusterman

Unwind is one of the most creepiest books I've ever read. I'm not sure how many of you out there are thriller/ horror fans, but I am definitely one! So, I really enjoyed this book. The author also used a very unique technique. He bounced around to different characters in different chapters. This book is truly one of the best books I've ever read.

It's going to be a little hard to tell the story from one point of view, so I'll give a quick summary of the whole book. SPOILER ALERT!!!!!! It starts out introducing the reader to future America, where parents can have their kid unwound if they are misbehaving. What happens with unwinding is top secret, except for the fact their body is taken apart to donate parts to others who need them. We meet a few unwinds and follow their stories throughout the book. Their names are Connor, Risa, and Lev. Connor is a troubled kid who always gets in fights. Risa is an unwanted orphan. Lev is a tithe, and thinks God wants him to be unwound. I didn't really like the whole idea of involving a bunch of religions in the book, but I guess it's necessary. So these three kids end up meeting each other by a huge coincidence and start a long, creepy journey. I won't go into further detail than that which has been said.

My overall opinion of the book was an 'A'. Most of it was suspenseful and awesome. I didn't like the whole religion thing with the tithes though. I also didn't like the romance between some of the characters. It was kind of gross. Another thing that I thought was weird was the whole teenage pregnancy thing. That's downright disgusting. Swearing was mild, but wasn't really necessary.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes creepy, suspenseful movies, stories, or books. It's not another average Goosebumps book. It's creepy, a little wrong, and very descriptive. It is not for jumpy or squeamish people. Trust me on this though; if you do read this book you're in for a major creep out.

3 comments:

Abbey Road said...

Is it any of the main characters that have the romance?

Anonymous said...

I loved this book so much! :)

fluteninja503 said...

Nice Book Review. Good work. So, would i like this book? I am not much into creepers. But i do like a nice adventure. And swearing... how bad?