Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Deadline.


"Deadline" by Chris Crutcher is about Ben Wolf. Ben Wolf is going to die in less than a year. He is a senior in high school that is a star track runner and has been diagnosed with a rare blood disease. Even though his doctor recommends treatment, Ben has decided to live his life to the fullest and let his life play out. Not only that, but Ben has decided to keep it a secret from everyone he knows.

Ben knows he is going to die, and he wants to shrink an entire lifetime into a few months. He figures it's time to take some risks. Ben is short, 123 pounds, and he is going to try out for football. He is going to leave track behind to try something new. He also has a crush on Dallas Suzuki. Dallas is smart, gorgeous girl that Ben has had a crush on for a long time. He even tries to get the town drunk, Rudy to go back to church. Ben basically lives every moment to the fullest because he doesn't have many days left.

I honestly didn't really like this book. I thought that the book was WAY to slow at first and barely had any suspenseful parts. Basically the only thing that kept me reading was knowing that I had to write this book review about it. I think what made me dislike this book was that it didn't flow very well. It felt like it should have had parts of the start earlier and shouldn't have been so boring in the beginning. Even though the book wasn't the greatest it did make me start to think about my own life and how I should live it because we never know when we are going die and I think that's what the author was trying to get to. I think he was saying that we should live life like we only have a year to live because people take life for granted when in reality we could die at anytime.

C+

1 comment:

Praying4NoWar said...

I liked your review, and I actually feel like I should read this now. It sounds like it's kinda funny, even though you make it seem boring. I still like your review though.