Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Scortch Trials

The thrilling book, The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner was one of those books you just can't put down. Every single chapter ended on a cliff-hanger, making it nearly impossible to stop reading. There were countless twists and turns that were constantly changing my point of view. Just as I thought I understood what was going on, something would happen that would totally confuse me. But I loved it! The book was exciting, aggravating and heartbreaking... all in one. The Scorch Trials was the second in the series, The Maze Runner. Scorch Trials has been my favorite so far, even though I loved Maze Runner, too. If you haven't read the Maze Runner, I suggest you visit http://www.examiner.com/young-adult-literature-in-baltimore/the-maze-runner-book-review-review so you have a little background before reading my review!
The maze is over; Thomas and the other gladers are done. No more madness, no more running. They're finished... or so they think. With fresh clothes, hot showers, and a full tummies, nothing could get better. But of course, WICKED has other things in mind. This time instead of trying to make their way through an enclosed maze full of concrete walls and crazy creatures, they are forced to journey through a scorch waistland of pretty much nothing... nothing besides a city filled with crazy "cranks" infected with the mysterious Flare disease. This disease turns normal citizens into man-eating, zombie-like insane people. They can still think somewhat clear, but are extremely violent and have super-human strength. They are definitely not people I would want to hang out with.
Thomas and the others discover that they have to face, yet another, challenge. They have to make it through the scorch to a so-called "safe haven" where they will be safe, once and for all. But then again, do the games ever really end? Thomas has pretty much given up all hope of ever going back to normal life... not that he remembers what normal is. And on top of it all, I forgot to mention that they were happily informed they were also infected with the Flare. Making it to the safe haven was their only hope of getting a cure and being saved from this awful disease.
Adding to his distress, Thomas has no idea where Theresa, his best friend and love has been taken to. He is so worried about her and constantly thinks about what might have happened to her. When he does finally reunite with Theresa, she stabs him in the back... literally. When this happened, I felt like Theresa had hurt me--like I was the character in the book getting betrayed and deceived! The author does such a good job connecting you with the characters that whatever they are feeling you are feeling, too.
In the end, they reach their "safe haven" in the nick of time. Once again they are clothed, cleaned, and fed. This time the people say they have nothing to worry about. But, of course Thomas doesn't buy it. Are they truly safe, or is it just another set-up for yet another set of ridiculous lies and trials?
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good action book. There is a theme of friendship. What is a true friend? This book really made me think about this question. I think the author is trying to say that sometimes we don't quite know someone, even if we are close to them. I think he is also showing us through Thomas' actions to never give up. There are many more deeper meanings to be discovered when reading this book! Once again, The Scorch Trials was a fantastic book I would highly recommend. I can't wait to read The Death Cure (the last book in the series) to find out what happens next!

No comments: