Friday, March 8, 2013

The Two Towers: J.R.R Tolkien


            The Two Towers, by J.R.R Tolkien, is an epic fantasy story, and continues the tale of the 3-part series of books, The Lord of the Rings.
           The Fellowship has been broken, now Frodo and Sam are alone, and must continue their journey to Mordor. Merry and pippin have been captured by the fighting Uruk-hai, and are doomed to death. Now Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimili, must track down the Uruk-hai, and save Merry and Pippin. Gandalf has perished in the Mines of Moria fighting the great Balrog. Saruman has unleashed an army of terrible power, with only one purpose, to destroy the world of men.
           In this second part of the Lord of the rings, the fellowship will meet many new characters and creatures, such as Treebeard, the tree herder. Frodo and Sam will also encounter Gollum, once a hobbit but has been corrupted by the ring. They must trust him for he is the only one who knows the way to Mordor. The rest of the fellowship will meet the great king Théoden, king of Rohan, the horse people, and he must decide how they will possibly defend their people at the battle of Helms Deep against the great army of Uruk-hai.
           I personally loved this book and thought it was very exciting and fun to read and I think that everybody should read it. Unlike the first one this book got right into the action, and stayed in the action for pretty much the whole book.
            Some of the things I really liked about the book was how Gollum talks. Whenever I read what he is saying, he says it in a really funny way, and I think that that adds a lot of humor to the book, and it makes me laugh every time I read it. One thing I think that Tolkien could have done better was spend a little more time on the battle of Helms Deep. I think that it is a really important event in the book, and he spent a little over twenty pages describing it, when it could’ve been longer.
            In closing, I would like to say this is one of my favorite books I have read, and I think everybody should read it (after you read the first one!), and it deserves an A+.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The whole thing isn't packed with action though. For instance, the chapter, the Forbidden Pool, that part drags across the floor.

Unknown said...

Hi, John, and Ryley, real mature of you to steal your dad's name, John. Anyways, good reveiw, sounds like a good book of which I will read when I don't have a bunch other books, and can get my hands on a copy. (I'll watch out for the Forbidden Pool part)

Mrs. Jensen said...

I think this was probably my favorite of the whole LOTR trilogy. Great summary.