Friday, March 1, 2013

Someone Like You


        Sarah Dessen's Someone Like You was not my favorite book. It's a contemporary romance, a story of rebellion and young love. This book focuses on the importance of good friends and family. There are a few mild swear words and some sexual content.
     Halley is an average high school girl. She has a best friend, Scarlett, and a mother who doesn't understand her anymore. She and her mother were very close just last summer. They went on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon and Halley and her mother were like best friends. Meanwhile, Scarlett has been dating Michael Sherwood but hasn't really told anyone but Halley. Then, while Halley is away at Sisterhood Camp, she gets a phone call from Scarlett. Michael was in a motorcycle accident and died. Scarlett has always been the strong one and has always been there for Halley. Now it's Halley's turn to be the strong one for Scarlett. Halley does her best to comfort Scarlett, until she meets Macon, Michael's best friend. They eventually start dating and Halley starts to worry less about Scarlett. Then, things get crazy. Scarlett finds out she is pregnant with Michael's baby. So, Halley and Macon come to the rescue and help Scarlett convince her mom to let Scarlett keep the baby. 
     Also, Macon wants to take his and Halley's relationship to "the next level." (*wink wink*) When she finally agrees, she has to get drunk before she can do it. So, at a New Year's Eve party, Halley gets wasted and has to leave before anything happens. Macon thinks she was just leading him on and is yelling at her the whole way home, not watching the road. This causes them to get into a major car accident and Halley is rushed to the hospital. Where, Macon doesn't visit and Halley's mom doesn't know what happened. Once Halley gets out of the hospital, it's about time for prom. She and Scarlett go with their dates, but halfway through, Scarlett starts to go into labor, figures. So, Scarlett has the baby and names her Grace. Halley is avoiding Macon and doesn’t want anything to do with him anymore. She starts to realize that even if Scarlett has just given up her whole future, Grace has a great one because of all the people she has who love her.
     This book was a waste of time. It wasn't a good story, and it drove me crazy. I never really liked Sarah Dessen books all that much. They seem to always be about whiny teenage girls who are "madly in love" with some idiot. I haven't read all of her books, because the drive me crazy, so I don't know if that's a good generalization. This book made me grateful for my life and my family. My family are my best friends and I wouldn't want to be in Scarlett's situation at all. I think this book completely turned me off of Sarah Dessen books. I kept telling myself, just try this one, it might be good. Alas, I was wrong. I think this book was one of the top five worst books I've read. I don't know exactly why, but I didn't like it at all. If someone asked me if they should read this book, I'd give them a positive no. D-.

   

2 comments:

Legendary007 said...

This is really suprising to me that you did not like this book at all. I read this book a few months ago and I thought it was literally one of the best books I've read. I do agree that most of her books are kinda the same about the whiny girls but I thought that this book was well written and had a good story line. I especially liked how Halley foght to be with Macon even though her family didn't approve of him. I really like this book.

Pa-Joules said...

Well, I'm glad you liked it. The book was well written, I just didn't care for the story. It just seemed like a teenage girl rebelling because she could. I don't know, I just didn't like it.