Monday, March 4, 2013

Mockingjay

 Mockingjay, the third and final book in post apocalyptic-young adult series, immediately picks up where the second book, Catching Fire left off. If you didn't already know, in Catching Fire, main character Katniss, and one of two love interests, Peeta, are thrown back into the games for the Quarter Quell. What they didn't know is that many of the other contestants (also former victors of the games) are rebelling against the capitol and have a plan to make it out of the games. Towards the end of the second book, Katniss is rescued out of the games by the rebels and is sent to District 13 which was thought to no longer exist.
      In the third book however, there are no more games, which I originally thought there might be. Mockingjay is all about the rebellion against the capitol, in which Katniss finds herself being the face of the rebellion, the Mockingjay. The problem is, all of this comes with a cost. Peeta is not in District 13 with Katniss like everyone else is, and District 12, among other districts are destroyed. But not to worry, Gale and Katniss's family are indeed safe in the thirteenth district - for now. The book follows all plans of the revolution and the war that will take place to get there. The surprising twists and turns make the book more interesting too, and will keep the reader guessing on what will happen next.
       However there were some parts in this book where I would be bored and lose interest. For instance, there are so many hospital scenes in the book. After awhile it just gets pretty boring to hear the same thing over and over again. Also readers may not be 100% satisfied on how the book ends, and to be honest, I was pretty shocked myself on some parts. Other parts, I already saw coming. There are several deaths in Mockingjay that most of the readers are probably not going to be too happy about. This can make some people hate the book. For me though, I definitely do not hate this book. As a whole it kept me entertained for the majority of the time.
         The concept of The Hunger Games is truly frightening though. Nobody wants to think that something like this can happen to a government. The whole series is an eye-opener. An eye-opener to never let history repeat itself. We as a country, and other countries too, need to always make sure we don't make the same mistakes someone else already has made in the past. We can learn from our mistakes, and if we do that then nothing will get out of hand.
     Overall I thought this book was pretty good, and worth the read. I don't think it is quite as good as the first two books in the series, but it is still enjoyable. I would encourage anyone to read this book, after they read the first two of course. I give it an A-.


6 comments:

Aizik Rogers said...

Nice job! I loved hunger games and look forward to reading mocking jay!

B-DOG said...

I have read this book and LOVED it. But I think saying that there are few deaths that are upsetting is a UNDERSTATEMENT! I cried at some parts, and had a hard time at other parts with is being so gruesome. But at the same time I dont think it was TOO grusome like some say. But I never wanted to put it down either. great Review.(:

Tlew said...

I really liked this book, but the first and second books in this series were a lot better. Also, this book was really gruesome at times, but overall, I think it was a good read

Legendary007 said...

I tried reading Mocking Jay a while ago. I loved The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but I could not get into this book at all. It was going so slow I couldn't take it. I ended up just looking up the summary on Wikipedia and reading the epilogue :/

Dori said...

I also tried to read this book, but it was just a little bit too slow for me. I finished it, finally. But, it was still not my favorite in the series. There are moments in this book where it was so fun, and exciting, but then there were times that were just- eh.

TeamPeetaGirl said...

Your review was really good! But I did not enjoy this book at all. I ended up reading it in one day cause I wanted to get it over with.It was a very different read becaause of the way it ended cause i am used to things ending pretty good and things just did not in this book.