Sunday, March 3, 2013

Extras - Written by Scott Westerfield

The cover of the book
      This was the last book of 4, and it was amazing, This book is a bit confusing when you haven't  read any of the others. Anyways  this book revolves around a new take on government and experiencing new things, along with many other mind boggling twists and turns. Although if you have read the books prior, this book may take you off guard because it begins with a different character. Once  you reach the last few chapters of this book, the character from the first 3 books re-occurs till the end of the book, where it all concludes.
      This book starts off with a girl named Aya Fuse, a famous seeking 'extra' hence the name of the book. You have to understand that this book has a ton of foreshadowing and things that aren't real, so I suggest when reading this you take a whole bunch of time to actually read and understand what the characters are saying. If you do not pay attention in the beginning you will get lost very easily. Carrying on, in this book there is a government unlike any of ours that we live in, this is a completely different take on everything. There is different ways the government monitors the civilians, also they have things only imaginable in the future for us right now. Such things include, holes in the walls that will spit out anything you want to wear, hover boards (skateboard type things that hover) for transportation, skintenemas that allow you to 'ping' (send a message) that pretty much just allows you to send a message to someone once sent it will display over their eyes. They have may more things that I would rather not ruin for you readers. The lifestyle of the characters is rather interesting, they base how they get money on popularity and 'what their face rank is' something that will make sense when you read this book. That's where the main character,  Aya comes in the picture. Aya is a nobody, an 'extra' and she is destine to change that before long. In this book you will follow her with all her crazy and seemed to be never ending adventures.
     Honestly in my own opinion, I think this book is amazing, absolutely breath taking. I mean it had so many different twists and turns and just stuff to make your mind really think. I have to admit I spent a lot of time trying to think if this could actually happen in our world, if by chance the government wanted to implement something like this. But I have came to coups with myself that its completely out of the picture, ha ha sorry for my little ramble. Although I do have to counter, I would actually love to have this type of government. I think it would be a ton of fun, all the topics brought up in this book may at times be confusing and seemed to be a little bit premature compared to our government, but I personally am the type of person to be completely like Aya Fuse, even her thought proses creeped me out for awhile because it was the same exact things I would do and want.
     Okay to sum this up in a little bunch, I loved this book (obviously.) The only advice I would give you before you read this book is, take time on it, don't have to much on your mind, matter of fact if you are stressed don't try to read this, you need a clear and focused mind to read and comprehend everything. Don't get me wrong that this is a tough book to read, its not. Furthermore happy reading <3

No comments: