Saturday, October 29, 2011

They Call Me Coach By John Wooden


John Wooden is arguably the best coach in college basketball history. In a ten year period, he won nine out of ten NCAA national championships, including eight in a row. He also impacted the lives of his players and thousands of people.

This book starts out by talking about John Wooden's early years of growing up on a farm and playing basketball on a dirt court in Indiana. This farm boy ended up becoming an All-American basketball player for Purdue University. After college, Wooden was hired to teach at a high school and he became the coach of all the sports teams as well. His basketball team was one of the best in the state and Wooden was quickly recruited by Indiana State University to coach basketball there. After a couple of successful years, UCLA decided to hire him. It was at UCLA where he developed his pyramid of success and won a total of ten national championships. During the large section of the book talking about his stay at UCLA, Wooden instructs his audience about success. The pyramid of success is a group of attributes built upon one another that makes up John Wooden's true definition of success.

This book is great for someone who is looking for ways to become successful and/or for people who want to become better leaders. It is very instructive and I learned a lot from the different teachings in the book. I now view success as not just a single thing but a group of different aspects that when put together, form success. This book makes me want to make myself better and to get out there and work.

I agree to all of the different points that Wooden touches on and I felt like I was sitting next to him in an armchair as he told his story. Even though he talks a lot about his players and different parts of his basketball philosophy, the most important parts in this book, and the parts that have the most impact on the reader are not necessarily about basketball itself. He talks about how to live life to the fullest and to become successful.

This book was fantastic and I would recommend it to everyone. If everyone read this book, the world would be a better place. I would give this book an A.

5 comments:

Mrs. Jensen said...

Wow. This book is SO good, that if everyone read it, the world would be a better place? That's a pretty intense statement. I am not much of a "sports fairytale" reader, but if this will help the world be better, I might have to read it. :)

Cheney #3 said...

I really want to read this book! It sounds awesome! Go Yanks! I'll see you over hither.

T WILL 11 said...

Wow, now I really want to read this. I get pumped up for a game by listening to music, maybe now I'll have to read a couple lines in the book to get me feeling good. Good book review! Go RED SOCKS!!!

Logan Clarke said...

You folks should all read this book. Hopefully you'll like it as much as I did.

LeBron James6 said...

Nice. I want to read that book really bad now. Have fun down yonder.