Friday, October 28, 2011

Kingdom Keepers By Ridley Pearson

Finn Whitman doesn't have a typical teenage life. He lives in Florida, near Walt Disney World Resort. 4 other kids(Willa, Charlene,Philby, and Maybeck)  and himself were chosen to be DHIs (Disney Host Interactive) in Disney World's Magic Kingdom. When he goes to sleep, his DHI wakes up in the Magic Kingdom and tries to destroy the Overtakers(Villains from Disney movies and characters in the park). Whatever happens to his DHI, happens to him.

Wayne (an old Disney cast member) helps them by giving them clues to finding out the Stone Cutters Quill. The Stone Cutters Quill is the code the destroying the Overtakers. In this book, the Overtakers are trying to gain the ownership of the Walt Disney World resort. They are trying to just get take control, getting the "magic" out of the parks. Walt Disney's belongings have some clues on them, so Wayne know about those because he knew Walt Disney himself. Wayne gives them this remote control fob so that if they come face-to-face with trouble and can't escape, the fob is the way out of it.

Finn's parents don't believe him when he tells them about this problem. They think he's making it up. So to save himself, he has to lie about it.

During the day, they sometimes go into the park and try to destroy the Overtakers. They hide in rides and try to find clues hidden in them. Some are in the most random places and others, not so much. Amanda (a friend of the DHI's) helps them because her dad works at the resort...so she knows where everything is.  Sometimes the kids have to go to Disney- MGM and try to find clues there.

After the kids find all the letters in the code, something happens that you'll have to figure out yourself.
At first when I read this, it was going a little slow. I had started the book about three times so I knew what was going to happen in the beginning, but I have only finished the book once. I loved it so much, because it had one of my favorite topics in it, Walt Disney World Resort. When they were explaining where they were and what they saw, I knew what they were talking about because I had been there before.
When they were talking about the Overtakers and how the DHI's almost got into there hands, I really felt what they were talking about. When I read this, I felt like I was in the book because there was so much description and detail.  When I went over the summer, I could remember some of the things that were mentioned in the book, it was a lot of fun to remember it.

Overall, I would give this book an A+. I love how it is so descriptive and detailed, so you feel like you are in the book and friends with the characters. It is a memorial book for me and interactive because it is a cliff hanger onto the next book. This is the first in the book series of four books. If you like to read about adventure,fiction, and Disney, this book is an excellent choice.

"You haven't exactly explained it to me." This is how you may feel, but if I tell you anything more, I'll give the book away. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

This book sounds really cool!!! I want to read this book a lot. I think it would be cool to read a book in a Disney setting, because I really like Disney!

reader792 said...

I really liked this book too. However, I only enjoyed the first and second books. I thought that the third and fourth books were pretty much the same as the first two.

Heidi said...

Do you need to read the first book to read the other books?