Saturday, October 29, 2011

Inkheart By Cornelia Funke

Mortimer Folchart to most people may look just like a normal bookbinding wiz. But to Capricon, Basta, and Dustfinger he is so much more. He is Silvertounge; and he did something only the limited few can do... he read them right out of their story. And with that, he read his wife right in.

Mo was just an ordinary man. Until that night. One cold, winter night he was sitting next to his lovely wife, with his 3-year-old daughter just a few seats away, reading from Inkheart in a pleasantly warm room. He got to the seventh chapter, the book is getting so exciting and then BOOM!!!; three strange men are standing in his doorway. They are named Dustfinger, Capricorn, and Basta. But now you may also call them your worst nightmare. He chases them out into the cold night, thinking how odd that moment was, settled back on the couch to realize something was missing... his wife had vanished. When those three terrible men came out of that book, his beloved wife went in. And he just sits there clueless as to where she went and what he is going to tell is daughter, Meggie, when she asks him where Mommy was.


Well, it has been nine years since that most terrible night. When Meggie looked out the window to see an odd shadow stalking around in the night. She ran to tell Mo. The odd shadow was Dustfinger coming to warn Silvertounge of Capricorn's latest plans. This means go. They packed their bags and were off to see there crazy, book-collecting Aunt, Elinor. Mo had something that Capricorn wanted and Mo was not planning on giving it to him. He was looking for Inkheart. The terrible book that now held Meggie's mother. He had plans for that book. Plans of evil and destruction, and he needs Mo to read them out for him.

As you read this book, you follow Meggie, Mo, Elinor, Dustfinger and everyone else on their plans to stop Capricorn and this evil ways. Will they succeed? Will Mo ever see his wife again? Will Dustfinger ever get back in his story like he has dreamed of ever since he got plucked right out of it? Now I could tell you the answers... but what is the fun in that? I guess you will just have to read this book to find out.


I really enjoyed this book. Even though it took me over a month to read. You first pick it up and think, "Hey, only 534 pages... this will be a breeze!" Well, at least that is what I thought. It was surprisingly long. Either that or I am just a deathly slow reader. Also, it swears (about the least sinister swear words you can think of, nothing major) quite a few times in this book and that was one thing that I didn't really like. But that is the only reason I gave this book an A instead of an A+. Other than those few things it was great. It moved pretty fast, not too fast, but fast enough so you didn't get bored. Also, it had lots of cliff hangers at the end of chapters so you jut wanted to keep reading and reading to find out what would happen next.

As far as theme, I can't really pick one out. There is not really just one dancing around singing, "HI! I AM THE THEME TO THIS BOOK! LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" But I guess you could say that one may be that most things (like Dustfinger) are happiest where they belong and so don't go around reading people out of the stories they belong in. Or maybe the theme was that adventure is everywhere and will come to you even if you don't look for it. Also, it could be that you should never give up hope, even if you are literally a world apart. I am not really sure what it is... people could say it is so many different things.

I would most definitely tell others to read Inkheart because it is AWESOME! Oh, and be alarmed. If you have ever seen the movie, don't base your judgement of the book off it, because the movie leaves so much out. It is lame the way movies do that... But to tell the whole story you would be there for like 5 hours or more so I guess it is for the best. I loved this book and wouldn't mind reading it again.

If you like to read adventure stories, you will like this book. If you like mysteries, you will probably like this book. If you like happy-endings... then I am not sure if you will like this book. If you like fairies, trolls, and fantasy, then you will like this book. If you are lazy, then you probably don't like any books, so I don't know why I even included you.... Well, what I am trying to say here is that most everyone will like this book. It includes almost every different genre you can think of. So, I am pretty sure that whoever you are... you will not go wrong if you read this book; and everyone likes to be right.

4 comments:

Santana said...

Haha, Cool Name. Yeah, I read this book AWHILE back, and it was great! Good review~ It told the book great!

Praying4NoWar said...

I loved this book, it's so amazing. Well a least the parts that I read, my dogs ripped out a few pages.

polkadotts said...

I haven't read this book, but I have seen the movie. The movie was pretty good. Is the book anything like the movie?

fluteninja503 said...

Thanks guys. And This book was awesome. The book had the basic same story line... like but almost all the details were takin out of the book when it was turned into a movie. The movie I didn't really like but the book I loved. And Praying4NoWar... Maybe next time you should keep your book away from your dog... Haha. I would totally suggest reading this book.