Monday, October 24, 2011

The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

So, I assume that most of you normal people have read this book, and that I'm the weird one for barely just starting the trilogy. Anyways, I only have one word to say about this book- FANTASTIC! I could literally not put it down. I even read it while eating at the dinner table!

The book starts out introducing the main character of the story, Katniss Everdeen. Yes, I know, not a common name for a child. Anywho, Katniss is a somewhat tall sixteenyear old girl that has brown braided hair, brown eyes, and loves to hunt in the woods with old boots and a bow and arrows. She often goes out hunting with her friend Gale. Yes, another weirdo name. So, Gale and Katniss are out hunting (by the way hunting is illegal) and feasting on berries and goat cheese, a gift to Katniss from her sister Prim because today is the Reaping.

The day of the Reaping is a day when the Capitol of Panem, a new country that rose from the ashes of North America, reminds the districts of to behave themselves so another war doesn't occur. They do this by taking two teenage tributes, one boy and one girl, from each of the twelve districts to fight to the death in a death giving "arena".

So, after Katniss is done hunting with Gale, she returns home to prepare for a day full of fear and saddness. At noon, everyone in District 12, or commonly known as the "Seam", gathers in the middle of town for the Reaping. Two names are called Katniss' sister, Prim, and a boy named Peeta Mellark. Well, this scares the crap out of Katniss, so she just hops on stage and volunteers to take Prim's place in the Hunger Games.

I personally thought this book was made for me. The only thing I did not like about this book was the romance crap. I mean, it's necssary for the survival of Katniss, but still romance is not my thing. Another thing I noticed while reading this book was that Katniss is sometimes a real bum. She has this weird habbit of hating people, then loving them. It just made me real frustrated at her, which by the way never happens to me while I'm reading.

I also really liked the book for it's creative and uniqe ideas. I don't think anyone else on Earth would have tought of this. It gave me a new point of view on my life, and what I'm thankful for. I guess I've always taken food for granted, and I haven't taken time to be grateful for it. It also makes me grateful for family and friends because in the Hunger Games those things don't exist.

I LOVED this book and can't wait to start the second one. I doubt that it will be better than this one though. Actually, I doubt any book is better than this one. I highly suggest this book for sci-fi/ fantasy lovers. It's packed with action, adventure, romance (ugh) , and best of all, it keeps you craving to read even more.

Click here to watch the trailor for the Hunger Games movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAWODq_dMFI ...

3 comments:

Santana said...

It IS a cliche, but sounds good. Hahaha, like how you put Romance (ugh), haha.

chocolatetot said...

i love this book! i can't wait until the movie comes out!! And i like the way you wrote the book review! good luck on the second one! it is good too!

fluteninja503 said...

Great job. And you got me convinced to read it. And romance? Come one Pianoninja.. deal with it ;)