Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan


"The Red Pyramid" is the first book of The Kane Chronicles and a non-fiction book by the famous Rick Riordan. This is a book about a brother and sister, Carter and Sadie, who eventually figure out that they are supposed to save the world. Carter and Sadie aren't like any ordinary brother and sister, they only get to see each other once every six months. Then on one of their visitations their father, Julius Kane, releases all five gods which are: Osiris, god of the living, Isis, goddess of magic, Horus, god of kings and the sky, Nephthys, goddess of lamentation, and Set, god of chaos and destruction. Though saving the world isn't hard enough, the only way is by defeating Set, the god of chaos and destruction.
On their journey they discover that their trapped father and deceased mother were Egyptian magicians. Also that they(Carter and Sadie Kane) have the ability to cast spells to do extraordinary things. Luckily Carter and Sadie also discover that they are descendants of pharaohs Narmer and Ramesses the Great and that they are hosting gods.(Which means that they have been chosen by the god to be their mortal body.) BIG SURPRISE!!!
I enjoyed reading this book and eventually loved it by the end. This book is unique because you have to keep reading for new information based on Egyptian myths and legends. This is a very exiting book that makes you wonder what will happen next. I don't really agree with all of the author's ideas, but you have to give him a little slack because at the beginning of the book it clearly states that the book was written from an audio recording.(Yes, I know, confusing.)

One of the main issues that the book brings up is would you rather save the world or a family member. I knew that the obvious answer would be the world but why. Why is the obvious answer the world? This book really showed me why the world would be the obvious reason by telling me even though you love that family member you have to save those innocent lives along with the one that you especially hate. This showed me that the obvious decision isn't all that easy.

Thoth, the god if knowledge said," Gods cannot live without the world and the world cannot live without the gods. We all have to live in harmony to make the world survive."

When you read this book, I strongly recommend that you pay real close attention to everything you read because it all comes into play.

6 comments:

Parkin' Lot said...

Sounds like a good book. I need to read it sometime!

pinkbeani said...

The Red Pyramid is a good book. I like how the two main characters switch off to tell the story.

Cheney #3 said...

This seems like an interesting book. I really need to read it! Is the beginning kind of slow because I think I started it but never finished it.

chocolatetot said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK! I also like the way that the two main characters traded off. It makes it sound better, and having the two different point of views makes it more exciting too! i highly recommend this book!

Unknown said...

I read the Percy Jacksons' and they were great. This is by Rick Riordan too so I will have to read this sometime and see if it is as good as the Percy Jacksons'.

pinkbeani said...

I loved the Percy Jackson series. Red Pyamid is no different.