Sunday, April 15, 2012

Twice Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris

Twice Upon a Marigold is written by Jean Ferris. This book embraces all sorts of genres including fantasy, Romance, Comedy, and tragedy. I loved this book for many reasons. Rather than a violent, horror book, Twice Upon a Marigold is enchanting. It is the sequel to Once Upon a Marigold.

In a little village, far, far away, a little old mayor found something unusual in the river while fishing. Why, it is a person, an actual person who is dressed in very fine clothes and jewelry. She cannot recall her name or where she came from, but despite her amnesia, she is very kind. Not for long! After the amnesia disappears, she discovers that she is actually Queen Olympia. She becomes a royal pain AGAIN!

Back in the kingdom where Olympia is from, everyone is quite happy. Nobody cares she is gone, because she was always so rude and selfish. All she cares about is power, and when she finally returns to the castle, a dark and evil feeling fills the air. OLYMPIA IS BACK!

Twice Upon a Marigold is an entertaining fairy tale. I was in California when I was reading this book, and to be honest, I was reading the book, rather than swimming in the pool with my friends. I was always up late waiting to see what was next. I love happy endings and that is what drove me to keep reading this book. I just hated Olympia and wanted it to end happy, so I HAD to keep reading. When I finished this book I was content and liked how it ended.

Evil is something horrible. I believe that the author portrayed this very well with Olympia. I felt a lot of anger toward her because she did so many horrible and selfish things. It made me wonder, how someone could be so cruel. The end of the book really hit home with me because it changed to something good, but I won't tell you what happens.

I compare this to those in the world who are totally clueless and don't ever think about others. That is why our world is so selfish at times. There is a lot of evil out there that is uncontrollable, all we can do is be kind back, which Marigold does very well. She is very kind and good always overrules evil.

I loved this book and the things it taught me. It was entertaining and fun to read. You should definitely consider reading Once Upon a Marigold first. I give this book an big magical A.

No comments: