Saturday, April 7, 2012


I was Jane Austen's Best Friend

Cora Harrison

Historical Fiction

The Main Idea of this story is that love overcomes all.

In this story Jenny Cooper is best friend and cousin to Jane Austen. Well technically Jane is Jenny's only friend. But anyway they go to some terrible boarding school where they live in horrible conditions and are half starved. To make things worse Jane its very sick and is close to death. Jenny who is nothing like outgoing, witty, Jane doesn't know what she can do to save Jane. She decides to break school and social rules by sending a letter to Jane's mother at midnight. I guess back in the day that was like a big deal. She's scared out of her mind while she walks the the post office. However, on the way there she meets the very attractive charming Captain Thomas Williams. Captain Williams helps her to the post office then makes sure she gets back to her school safely. A few days after the letter was sent Jane's mother comes to pick up the girls and take them home. Jenny decides to live with her aunt and uncle on the account that her mother is dead and her older brother is a butt. Jenny loves living with the Austens, and is so happy, but in the back over her head she's always worried that someone will find out about her little walk since it could ruin her reputation. Then Captain Williams comes back into Jenny's life and well...let's just say there's ups and downs. Jenny may think that being in love just complicates life but in the end love makes everything all right.

I really like this book. I love old fashion things and learning about what life was like a long times ago. Not only to see what has changed but also to see if we have improved as people. I think that the way the author portrayed the story was very in line with all the things I know about this time period. I loved the humor and witty she added into the story. Even though some of the things she said went right over my head. This book talks about how in the 1800s people didn't necessarily marry for love. Many times it was for money. I think this author is trying to show that even hundreds of years ago money was so important to us as humans. I want to marry for love and if everyone else married for love the divorce rate would decrease drastically. I really love this book and I would suggest this book to people. But I'm guessing guys wouldn't get into this book. If your into old fashion books and movies you should totally read this book!

No comments: