Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury



If you want to read a book that makes perfect sense, has a loveable plot, and is constantly grabbing your attention, GO AWAY!!! You won't find that here. I'm sorry, but I did not like this book at all. The characters had little depth, it made practicaly no sense, and the premise was totally wacko. Wacko...wacko... that's not a word is it? Oh well. Even though I strongly disliked this book, the show must go on. I will start by giving a quote from the back of the book, to give you some background knowledge.

"Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires. And he enjoyed his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and he had never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs or the joy of watching pages consumed by flames, never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid. then Guy met a professor who told him of a future in which people could think. And Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do..."

So, to sum this up, Guy is a guy who burns books. He likes it too. But then he meets a young girl (Who dies) and an old guy (Who almost dies) who change his mind. Then he goes crazy because he reads books. After that, the Firecheif, Beatty, sends a hound with a poisonus proboscis after him. Meanwhile, his wife goes crazy and is addicted to TV. Then he lives with hoboes who have book upon book memorized. As you can see, this book had a confusing plotline, and isn't all that great. Sigh...

Now, I will focus on the deeper meaning of this book. I didn't have to search very hard, because the whole time the book is screaming them at your face. Here are a few: DON'T WATCH TV, READ BOOKS, LISTEN TO PEOPLE, BE CURIOUS, DON'T DO DRUGS! All of this did get annoying after a little while, so if you you read this book, don't be suprised if you find yourself wanting to put it down.

To conclude, I did not like this book. If you want to read it, go ahead, but I sure feel sorry for you. D-

6 comments:

Logan Clarke said...

Tyler, you're hilarious. I think I will read this book. Not. Thanks for the warning.

Tree Tree Tree Bush/ Ellipses Master said...

Thanks, "The Yankees" (I don't know who you are...) Always giving good advice to my peers!

Santana said...

Wow. I had no idea this was Tyler/Owl. You do good in hiding your voice. I hated this book also. :)

Mrs. Jensen said...

I feel I failed you as a Language Arts teacher. This book is considered a classic for a reason. Schools around the nation read this book in 8th and 9th grades. Maybe it is because students have to learn what a "theme" is and this is great place to start. Maybe English teachers everywhere want to push an agenda of the evils of t.v. The bottom line is that this book is NOT as bad as this review says it is. I would be curious to see if anyone else felt the same way about the book. Maybe I will assign it for our last unit.

Logan Clarke said...

Please no Mrs. Jensen.

Logan Clarke said...

Tyler, I sit next to you in LA.