Thursday, April 5, 2012

Demon Thief by Darren Shan


Kernel Fleck isn't a normal child. He sees light patches in the air. These lights are like "puzzle pieces" that he can manipulate with his mind and hands and, if put together, make a door, which open to the Demonata, a demon world. When a demon steals his brother, Art, and takes him to the Demonata, Kernel decides to do anything to get him back.

The book starts out explaining Kernel's life. You learn that Kernel is an outcast; a loner. Nobody likes him, and people push him away. His brother, Art, is the only reason why he doesn't ALWAYS feel lonely. He loves Art, and Art loves him, but when Cadaver (a demon) steals Art and takes him to the demon world (and slaughters about 30 kids), Kernel isn't having it.

Once in the Demon world, he sees that he is not the only human. There are people called the "Disciplines". They protect the human world from the Demonata and are trying to destroy the demon world. Beranabus, the oldest, and leader of the Disciplines, shows him that Kernel is also a Discipline. So technically, he's a magician. Not only does he have to rescue Art and fight demons, but he also has to figure out his new powers.

This book is absolutely horrid. Horrid as in swearing, very gory scenes that are TOO descriptive, and overall just a very poor written book. No offense to Shan, but I felt like half the time I was reading Demon Thief, I was asking myself if it had been written by a 4 year old. The sentences are choppy and confusing, and I get that he was trying to add voice, but it didn't work.

You know, when you really think about it, you see that kids are absolutely horrible to this kid. They push him in corners and laugh at him. One thing that made me want to cry, is that he's never had a friend. Also, that people would tell him to, "Go play with the lights, freak!". Do you know how sad it would be to live in a world where no one, not even your parents, wanted you? Throughout the book I found myself pitying the poor kid. He just wants a friend.

CAUTION! DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE A QUEASY STOMACH. I'm warning you now. These scenes are absolutely disgusting for some (I actually thought it added to the story, and I have a demented mind as it is, so it didn't really bother me) with stuff like the Disciplines sliding in blood and guts and puking then sliding in that, monsters slaughtering children and giving PRISTINE description of how it happened, and even a witch exploding in front of children, which soaks them in her blood and guts. Overall though, I actually liked this book. Creepy? Yes. Adventurous? Yes. Totally wicked awesome? Yes.


Score: B+ (For stupid writing)
Rating: There is not a rating that goes high enough. :)

2 comments:

Gary Oak said...

I enjoyed your summary! I was very pleased with the word choice and the caution at the end.

Santana said...

@Gary Oak I love your name just btw. I love Pokemon. Thanks for the comment!