Wednesday, May 29, 2013


The Boy Who Dared


I know, this is my second book review on a book that is all history. But, they are my favorite kind of books to read.  The book I read called The Boy Who Dared and is made up of all flashbacks. This true story is set during WWII in Nazi Germany. The main character Helmuth has to undergo some major challenges at a young age.
        In this book the main character Helmuth is a very young boy growing up in Germany with Nazi influences all around him. He grows up believing in what they say, until Hitler becomes in charge of the nation. Hitler starts a war and take away the simple freedoms of the people of Germany. He hates not having the things he used to before Hitler banned them. Thing as simple as books and the radio. He secretly starts listening to the radio at night and staying up late to do so. He gets his two friends involved promising not to say any names if they were caught. The printed fliers and listened to the radio often. Eventually Helmuth gets ratted out by someone who he thought he could trust.
        The gestapo come and take Helmuth to jail in Berlin. He waits there until he is eventually found guilty for his crimes.
        I loved this book! I found it amazing how much this young boy did to stand up for what he believed in. It just shows that when you believe in something to keep fighting for it. Eventually, what you're doing will make a difference in the live of others. The main character in this book teaches a wonderful lesson to everyone. Even though it meant him dying, he knew what was the right thing to do.
        I also enjoyed this book because it made many Mormon references. Being a Mormon myself, I obviously enjoyed this book more than I would if i wasn't. Keep that in mind if you are thinking about reading it.
         This book was truly amazing and worth the read. Plus, it was an easy read. I would recommend this book to everyone. I give this book an A for sure!!

1 comment:

Pa-Joules said...

Okay, if you liked this book, you should read The Book Thief! I've never actually read The Boy Who Dared, but by your review it sounded good. The Book Thief is also a Holocaust book and it talks about a girl who takes books when they're banned. Just thought I'd let you know. Great review Keets!!