Friday, May 31, 2013

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, Helen Simonson's delightful debut, might, judging by the title, seem like a war book of some kind, and I suppose that's true, in a way. In this charming novel, its retired hero, Major Ernest Pettigrew, battles his own falling in love a second time, at the age of 68, with a woman of another religion and race, and deals with many other issues along the way. When my mother handed me this book and remarked that my great-grandma had recommended it, I sort of wrote it off, but Simonson's wit, warmth and surprisingly great skill for a first novel drew me in from page 1. (Sorry, Nana, you were completely right.) I couldn't agree more with the Washington Post's review: "When depicted by the right storyteller, the thrill of falling in love is funnier and sweeter at 60 than at 16...."

Major Pettigrew, which takes place in the present day English village of Edgecombe St. Mary, has several themes, but I think the one that is most applicable to me at this point in my life, as well as so many people today, was brought up by the subplot of the Major's son Roger and his problems, of which there are more than a few: being successful is not about having a lot of money, or living in a fancy house with designer furniture, or getting in good with people of high social status. Success is about having real happiness that comes from accomplishing great things and being with the people you love. In the book, Roger's priorities are all mixed up, and the pain he causes himself and his father through this is sad to read about. One can only wonder how things might have turned out had this not been the case, as the Major would have put it. Simonson perfectly portrays the consequences of a mindset such as Roger's, and I think sends a message that is in great need of being heard in this day and age.

I also thought it was nice to get some insight on what it is like to be "advanced in years," as the Major actually DID put it. I have to admit that I am intimidated by the struggles and tests of character that come with age. The Major endures the deaths of his closest loved ones, has to accept his need to rely on others while remaining dignified and capable in his son's and others' eyes and suffers from poor health in the novel, especially toward the beginning. I don't want any of that, not at all, but there is nothing I can do to prevent those future trials except die young, which I also would like very much to avoid. Hats off to the elderly- you're pretty tough.

Overall, I absolutely adored Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, and I would recommend it to any reader with mature taste (as in you don't need constant action and passionate kissing, and you enjoy sophisticated narration and dialogue). Keep in mind that there are a few more adult topics (mostly toward the end, if this book looks interesting to you but you'd like to steer clear of that type of thing) and some instances of unpleasant language. Three loud cheers and an A+ for the Major, his wonderful story and their creator!

No comments: