Thursday, May 9, 2013

Once Upon A Marigold

       Well to begin with, I wasn't too big of a fan of this book. I'm not sure why because I normally really like fairy-tales. In my opinion, I felt like this book took too long  to get to the climax. Others may disagree, but that's how I felt this book went. It was an OK book, but not one that I would re-read in the near future. This book was written by: Jean Ferris, she truly is a great author! She did a very nice job at creating a different kind of fairy-tale. 


       This fairy-tale was about a boy named Christian. When Christian was little, he went and hid in the forest until his family stopped searching for him. Christian was a prince and hated the way he had to act in his castle and how there were so many rules. One day he came across a troll named Ed. Ed lived in the forest in a cave. When Christian met him, he told Ed that he wanted to live with him, and that if he didn't let him, then he would go back to his castle and tell everybody that Ed kidnapped him! So as the years went on and Christian and Ed lived in the forest as a family, Ed started watching another castle through his telescope. He saw 4 beautiful princesses and a queen and a king. He watched them while they grew up and became fine young women! Then, Christian started p-mailing one princess named Marigold. After a while Christian and Ed decided it be best that Christian should live on his own and leave the cave. So, Christian went and got a job at the castle, where he could be closer to Marigold...Will they ever truly meet each other? Will everything turn out right and go as planned?
       Because I didn't like this book that much, I don't think that it's going to be a memorable one for me. Although, the story did have a good moral. I think that the book was trying to tell us that no matter if you are a "prince" or a "princess" or if you have everything, or nothing. You are just as capable of living your dream as any other person in the world. Whether they are rich, poor, happy, sad, loving, rude, it doesn't matter. just shoot for the stars and odds are, you'll be able to pick one for yourself at some point. I would give this book a B-.

1 comment:

may said...

I read this book a couple months ago and what's funny is that although I really liked it, I have to agree with you, it's not super memorable. It took me half way through your review to remember the plot.