Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Either/Or by Soren Kierkegaard

Either/Or is a highly influential book which contrasts the two different types of people, "Type A" which is the aesthetic personality, (desire, passion, etc) and "Type B" which is the more ethical personality (law and order) This book answers the question for me "How should I live my life? what should my primary opinions be on things? Understanding or knowledgeable?" Person A, who particularly sticks out to me, is one who always dwells in the past, wishing for his present to get better, and is therefore most often bored and is constantly searching for something to satisfy his hunger for entertainment. (I hate to toot my own horn here but my book review is sounding pretty good!) The second half of existence is a rather ethical person, someone who believes that a structural form of life is better than an uncertain, unhappy one. (I think my last book report was for April, and this one is for May. Just a little FYI Mrs. Jensen.) I think that maybe every person goes through different phases throughout his/her life, however maybe, as it is boldly proclaimed in this book, It is more of an Either/Or situation, in which half the people are aesthetic and the other half are more ethical. Though it sound somewhat ridiculous, I think that being an aesthetic person is a great way to live, so long as you are always affixed on the present and the future, rather than the past. If aesthetic people would be more optimistic, rather than sad and hopeful, they may to prove to be happier than ethical people claim to be. But what do I know, I'm only 14.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jensen said...

Thanks for tipping me off that it was your May book review...I do keep track of this stuff, but its always helpful to have a little shout out.

As for the review, I have heard--probably since I was 14--about Type A and Type B personalities. However, what I understood them to be is totally different that what the author (not even going to attempt to spell it) explains it as. So...is this the origin of the phrase "Type A" personality? Or is it something completely different? I think I will look it up on wikipedia.