Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Red Pyramid

    The amazing author Rick Riordan has created another wonderful series and he's kicked it off with The Red Pyramid. This fiction adventure book does an amazing job of explaining egyptian mythology and adding a twist to it. This series, The Kane Chronicles is told from the point of view of two siblings who haven't even realized how special they are, and this book takes you on the very beginning of their awesome journey.
    The story starts off from the point of view of Carter Kane, a 14 year old teenage boy who has traveled the world with his dad who's an archeologist. Sadie, Carter's 12 year old sister who has lived with her grandparents because her mother is dead, gets to see Carter and her dad twice every year. On the day that this story starts, it is one of these days where there family gets to spend some time together. What Sadie and Carter think is just another visit to a stupid museum is really where there entire journey begins...
    At the museum Carter and Sadie realize that this trip is not what they thought it was going to be. First of all, their dad tells them to lock up the museum owner, and then when they return to their father he is chanting something and blue heiroglyphs are floating around him, illuminating the room with blue light. After several minutes of this, the artifact which their dad is holding causes an enormous explosion, and when Carter and Sadie wake up, a flaming red creature is speaking to their dad. In the moments that follow, their dad ends up being captured by this creature and Carter and Sadie are knocked unconscious. When they wake up they are in their grandparents home and they are visited by a mysterious man named Amos.
    Amos turns out to be Carter and Sadie's uncle, and he informs them that they are in grave danger.     Amos says he can help protect them, and Sadie and Carter end up going to live with him. At their new home, Sadie and Carter learn that they have magical abilities and that they are related to phaoros of ancient times. They discover that they have very powerful abilities, and that they must use them to defeat the evil god Set, the god that captured their father and that plans to destroy the world. As they train for a very short amount of time, they realize that they're even more powerful than they thought and they are in serious danger. Their journey is quite incredible, and to defeat Set they have to make great sacrifices.
    I found this book to be very intriguing and also very exciting. I very much enjoyed learning about egyptian mythology and the different aspects of it. I found that when reading this book, I just didn't want to put it down, and the hilarious chapter titles make you want to keep going forever. I liked the way the author added the little bits of teasing and joking between Carter and Sadie that regular siblings experience. It really helped me connect to the book better, because I too know what that relationship is like.
    All in all, this book was very good. I didn't ever find myself bored and like I said before, I just didn't want to put it down. I would suggest that even before you read this book, you study a little bit of egyptian mythology and try to gain a better understanding of it. I know that I would've really liked a little background knowledge before I started, but obviously it isn't needed. I would suggest this book to anyone who's looking for a good read, or even wants to learn more about egyptian mythology. I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel.

No comments: