Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

(warning! Possible spoilers!)
Delirium novel.jpg    This book is told from the point of view of Lena Haloway, a seventeen year old girl living in the town of Portland, Maine in the future United States. In the future, love is seen as a disease. They have named this disease "Amor Deliria Nervosa", but many people just call it the deliria. Lena is afraid of the disease, mainly because her mother committed suicide do to the affects of it. However, she is counting the days until she receives her cure, a surgery which can make you immune to the deliria, when she turns eighteen years old. Then, in a strange turn of events, Lena meets a boy by the name of Alex Sheathes, who is cured, while she and her friend Hana Tate are on a run. They have met once before, when Lena received her evaluation, which was disastrous. Lena then begins to fall in love with Alex, but she is blind to it because of her knowledge Alex is cured. But when Alex reveals to Lena he in fact not cured, and was born in The Wilds (where those who resist the cure live), she is terrified for her life. 
   Delirium is a wonderful book. I absolutely adored the idea and also the well development of characters in it as well. It is well written, adventurous, and romantic all in one. There is a lot of swearing in the book, including the mother of all curse words twice. There is also one love scene where it gets a little steamy, but nothing much really happens. Overall, Delirium was fabulous, but it did have a little short of an ending and some inappropriate scenes. In the end, I give this book and A-.

2 comments:

Pa-Joules said...

I read this book at the beginning of the year. I really liked it! It reminded me a lot of books like Uglies, Matched, and Divergent. I never read the second book though. One thing I didn't like about this book and the books mentioned above was how they all have the same story. I get why and the whole archetype stuff that goes with it, I just wish the authors would've been a little more original.

Unknown said...

I feel you! To be honest, I know it's theme and all, but you're right. I think there needs to be something new. :)