Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25

By: Richard Paul Evans

     Ever since Michael was born he was more than just an ordinary kid.  Not only was he born with Tourette Syndrome but he has had electric powers for as long as he can remember.  Everything changes when he finds out that a girl in his grade,Taylor Ridley, may have the same type of powers.  The weirdest part is Taylor and his birthdays are really close together and they were born in the same hospital.  They begin looking at the hospitals records to see if that may be the link to their special powers.  As soon as they start investigating a peculiar school known as the Elgen Academy takes certain interest in the two teenagers.  Every goes down hill when Taylor and Micheal's mom are kidnapped.  Micheal will do anything to get them back even if that means risking his own life.

      The book suggests that the human race needs to be improved.  There are certain aspects of the world that should be changed but this book basically says that we should knock down the whole empire we have created and start a new with human 2.0.   It shows what happens when people are brainwashed and put into seclusion for so long they just lose all humanity they might have ever had.  It also shows us that our views on society really do shape who we are.  Not only that even the way we grow up and where we grow up effects who we are as a person.  Learning everything about this really makes you take a step back and evaluate the world today and look closely at the events that made you who you are today.

     I find the book very interesting because it's really the first of it's kind to be done.  Never before has there been electric children put into literature.  It's highly entertaining because there is a lot of action.  While there might be a few dull moments, in my opinion, the story always picks back up and gets even better with twists you never saw coming.  The book leaves off at a good place but it has that suspenseful feeling that if you don't get the next book you might just die.  I personally cannot wait to get my hands on the second book.

     I really did love this book and I'd recommend it to anyone.  It's just your typical children's book of our age.  Overall I give it an A.












4 comments:

Gabrielle Frailey said...

Honestly, after the assembly, I was kind of iffy about reading this book. The way the guy gloated and all. But after reading this book it sounds pretty good and I think I might just have to read it.

Insanity said...

I'm not joking, but I've always thought this book looked pretty lame. But this review just changed my whole perspective on everything. First, the summary was awesome. Also, I really liked how you talked about the choices we make in our society and how they affect many things that we don't always see at first. This really makes you want to be careful about what you do in the world. All in all, this review was incredible, and I'll probably have to read the book within the next couple of months.

Hedwig said...

I've commented this on a different Michael Vey review, but seriously this sounds like a rip off of Percy Jackson. He goes to school with someone with the same kind of "powers" as him (Grover). His mom is kidnapped. Plus, I've heard of electric children in literature once before, in an amazing book called Savvy (by Ingrid Law and I highly recommend it.) I know we repeat all the same story lines, but I don't know if I could read a repeat of some of my favorite books. I've never heard the human 2.0 part of the story though. Still don't knows if I'm going to read this book, but good review anyway.

Hedwig said...

I've commented this on a different Michael Vey review, but seriously this sounds like a rip off of Percy Jackson. He goes to school with someone with the same kind of "powers" as him (Grover). His mom is kidnapped. Plus, I've heard of electric children in literature once before, in an amazing book called Savvy (by Ingrid Law and I highly recommend it.) I know we repeat all the same story lines, but I don't know if I could read a repeat of some of my favorite books. I've never heard the human 2.0 part of the story though. Still don't knows if I'm going to read this book, but good review anyway.