Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life of Pi By: Yann Martel Review by: Andrew Williams




This story starts out with Pi Patel telling a wonderful story about one thing that affected him most in life. His story starts in Pondicherry, India where it is controlled by the French, one day his dad said that Pondicherry could no longer support a zoo, so he decided that they needed to move the zoo to Canada, where the family animals would be sold. So they get on a Japanese Cargo Ship with the animals and then there is a storm and then the ship capsizes and he is left in a lifeboat, with an injured zebra, orangutan, a hyena and a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker. During the first night Pi was scared he wasn’t sure if the lifeboat could spot him in the dark. After the first night Pi wakes ups to an unpleasant sight, to see that the hyena has bit of the broken leg of the zebra and was eating it, and the Zebra was still alive. Then the hyena goes head first into the zebra and starts eating it inside out, as he is eating the orangutan steps in and the have a standoff. Blood drips down and the sharks swimming around the boat start bumping the boat and Pi gets frightened, and the standoff ends, the hyena goes back to eating the zebra. The hyena then attacks the orangutan while it’s not looking, she puts up a fight but she is no match for the hyena, as he decapitates her. As Pi is about to through himself into the hyena he sees the Tiger as he gives him a look then he has a strange feeling and just decides to fall asleep. He must try to survive to keep any hope left of being rescued.
As I really wish I could tell you so much more, I can’t you will just have to read the book. This book is about finding who you are, and finding both your personalities, (hint). This book is confusing at times but I think you should really read it no matter who you are. Just get ready for a sick and twisted journey with an unexpected ending that will leave you thinking. There may be a little gore in this great novel, so I wouldn’t read it if you can’t handle it. Overall this book rely does deserve an A++++. Just don’t drop the book at the beginning because I promise you it’s very boring, but it gets way better as this is one of my most favorite books. There are some points were I wish that he explained a little better were I was really confused. But some parts I was just amazed at how descriptive his writing was, as I could perfectly see what he wrote. All in all it was an amazing book that I suggest everyone to read. 

2 comments:

Sambino said...

I have watched the movie of this book. If you have watched the movie, are they anywhere at all similar?

Clint Hanni said...

Nice book review, I also have watched the movie and I thought that it was really good, and I also wonder what their similarities and differences are. I will probably read this book some time.