Friday, April 29, 2011

"We were nine. Three are dead. I AM NUMBER FOUR."

I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore, is a great sci-fi book, similar to Superman. It wasn't my all time favorite, but I liked it enough to finish it in about two or three days. 
John Smith, a teenage guy, might look like a human, but he really isn't. He's from the planet Lorien. A few years ago, when John was about four years old, aliens from another planet, the Mogadorians, attacked Lorien. Out of all the inhabitants of the planet Lorien, none survived except nine small children and their own guardian each. They fled to our planet in hope that they would be able to fight the Mogadorians one day.
But how would they fight the ferocious and powerful Mogadorians? Each child is a Garde, and their guardians are Cêpan (don't ask me how to pronounce that :). The Garde start getting their Legacies (a.k.a. "superpowers") when they're teenagers.  John moves to his new home for what seems the millionth time for him. (I mean, give him a break! The longest he's stayed in one area is nine months.) Then he disappears, changing his name. This time he moved to Paradise, Ohio. On his first day of school there, his first Legacy appears: his hand starts to glow. He had to hide in a room because he didn't want people to think he was a freak. 
Finally, Henri, his guardian/Cêpan, decides to start training John. He starts learning how to fight in combat and how to turn his hand glow on and off. Mysteriously, a puppy appears on John's front door and decides to keep him. He feels really attached to the dog. Every morning when John would work out, he would go running with Bernie Kosar, his dog. John always ran "super-speed" and surprisingly, he would find the dog ahead of him. 
As John is living in Paradise, trying to hide from the Mogadorians without knowing where they are, he starts getting attached to his new friends, Sam and Sarah. He realizes that it would be really difficult to leave in a few months--especially when he considered Sarah more than a friend. How will John stay hidden when he keeps giving himself away too much? Will he die?
This book is pretty good overall, however, I found it easy to compare to Superman. Both John and Superman are "aliens" that look like humans. They both have superpowers, for example, "super-speed". Superman's Louis Lane is John's Sarah Hart. It's very similar, however, I like I am Number Four better than Superman. It has more action and you can kind of self connect sometimes. 
I am Number Four taught me responsibility and to care for the people who care for me. I wouldn't agree with Micheal Bay, director of Transformers, who said that "Number Four is a hero for this generation"  but it was pretty unique in its own way. Something I really liked is how it made me feel like it was really happening. For example, on the back of the book, the surviving Garde are "talking" to us. Also, the author's real name isn't really Pittacus Lore. Pittacus Lore is actually a very minor character in the book who apparently "wrote" the book. 
If you are looking for a good book to read, I strongly recommend that you pick this book off the shelf. I'm pretty sure anyone of any age and gender would like it. It's really intense. There is a movie that came out. I haven't seen it but I have heard it's really good. Grade: A :)

10 comments:

U. N. Owen said...

that movie looks soo good

Soap! said...

Ooh colorful...... Haha thanks for the review, maybe I'll check it out. How cliché is it?

LMW said...

If you're referring to Superman comparison, then it is a bit cliché, but "I Am Number Four" has it's own unique way of telling the story.

RikiRacoon said...

I'm sorry. The colors were really distracting to me. . . I couldn't concentrate on the review. It sounds like you freaking hated the book! Did you or didn't you? I've heard that it's pretty good, though. I guess I'll just have to read it and find out myself!

Some Guy said...

I really want to read the book now that I saw the movie! The movie is really good.

LMW said...

Sorry about the colors :) I'll make sure I don't do that next time.
...Make sure you read this book, though... and yes, RikiRacoon, I did like it. :)

live2run said...

i was number three.
jk!! ;)

U. N. Owen said...

ur dead number three!! ;( I'm number 9.7

live2run said...

that's why i said "was" ;)

Tree Tree Tree Bush/ Ellipses Master said...

I really liked it, but I heard the movie doesn't follow the storyline. I can't wait for the sequel!