Sunday, April 10, 2011

Story of a Girl


The Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr is well, a story of a girl. Deanna Lambert is not your average teenage girl. She doesn't have a ton of friends, she doesn't have a boyfriend, and she doesn't have the perfect life at home either. And all of that could be completely different if not for what she did when she was 13 years old. How could she have known better? She had never felt like that before. She never knew what it was like to be wanted by someone. Someone who she thought wanted her. But like her bestfriend Lee says, "Everybody has something they want to change about themselves, right?" The Story of a Girl was a very different type of book than what I am use to reading. I'm one of those girls that likes those realistic fiction type books, and that's what I assumed this was. I picked up this book, and continued to read chapter after chapter because at the beginning it seemed as though it was like all the previous books I've read and enjoyed. But towards the middle it took a little turn. It wasn't confusing or illogical, or even bad, but like I stated, it was... different. The main idea of this book, is to tell teenagers or whoever decides to read this book, that just because you've made bad decisions in the past, that doesn't determine who you are. You don't have to be THAT person. You can change who you are no matter what people say. I learned from this book that I can actually change my life even if I've made terrible mistakes in my past. And that you CAN start fresh. I personally really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone. But I should warn you there is some language every now and then, and a few F-bombs dropped unexpectedly. Also, this topic is dealing with something that some readers may not find appropriate, but I don't mind that kind of stuff and had no problem reading it. I cannot tell you what it is they talk about that may or may not be appropriate because that WILL ruin this book for you. But just know, it may be a little risky. Over all, I think this book is a must read.

4 comments:

spartagirl said...

sounds like a great book!! Probably gonna check it out now :)

spartagirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danglin' benders and Shootin' tenders said...

This sounds exciting

Mrs. Jensen said...

Danglin' benders...you think this sounds exciting? Seriously? Hmm. I don't think this is really your type of book. I think you just wanted to comment on Ginger's post. :) Ginger, thanks for the awesome review. I have been wondering about this book. Sarah Zarr writes good stuff, but it can definitely be jarring. It's on my shelf and I will have to read it to make sure I want it to stay there.