Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Sphinx's Princess

The Sphinx's Princess by Esther Friesner is interesting but horrible. Fiction mixed with historical importance and facts really enticed me at the beginning of this book. However, the end is like a jarring stab of pain. The Sphinx's Princess is very similar in topic to a book called The Red Pyramid. They both take place in an ancient Egyptian time period. In the Sphinx's Princess, the author really uses the time period and place to prove that truth is the most powerful value and possible weapon in some one's life.

The main character of this book is Nefertiti. She is a very lovable girl who loves her family and honors her gods. When her family comes to receive an invitation to visit her aunt, who is married to the Pharaoh, they soon find out that Nefertiti is to be forced to marry Thutmose, who is next in line to be Pharaoh. Of course Nefertiti didn't like the cold and arrogant prince so she postponed the wedding as long as she could. Nefertiti's friends Sitamun, Amenophis, and Nava help her get out of some tight spots while she is staying at the palace. The plot of this book is really good and you can tell that it is leading up to something great, but right before her real adventure begins the book ends! It is almost like this book is the prologue to the next books in the series.

In this book I felt like I could really feel what the characters felt. For instance, at the beginning of the story Nava could not talk. When ever Nefertiti would long to hear her say something, I would long with her. If one of the characters felt hatred or love to someone else, I could feel their energy and their opinion coursing through me. Esther Friesner was really good at describing feeling and emotion through the characters' words and actions.

I think that one of the most common talents in a teenager is that we know how to use sarcasm. Either Esther Friesner is a teenager or she has that talent too. At the beginning of the book it took a minute to catch on to the characters' constant sarcastic comments. But in the middle and towards the end it became easy to realize the meaning in the words and it became quite funny. Here is a very sarcastic quote from Nefertiti's scribe teacher, "Why are all of my best students girls?" Hearing the sarcasm made me feel like I was a part of the book. Also, it made it sound like this story was something normal that we would talk about at school.

As I mentioned earlier, truth is a very important concept in the Sphinx's Princess. To always tell the truth is one of the many commandments from the Egyptian gods. Throughout the entire book the plot is twisted and turned because the characters always have to tell the truth. Following their Gods' rules is really important to them because they don't want to be accused of wrong doing while being judged in the after life. I learned from this book that telling the truth is the right thing to do some of the time. However, occasionally keeping the truth from the ones you love is the best way to protect them.

Over all, this Sphinx's Princess is really good. But be forewarned that the beginning is kind of slow. Also, as you have probably already noticed, I think that the end is a big bowl of crap. Even though the middle is really good while you are reading it, the end kind of puts a sour cherry on the pie. I would say read it, because it is written so well that you will get enticed. But, I would also say, don't come complaining to me when you see how big of a cliff hanger the end really is.

5 comments:

Lyssa said...

Is this one of the books that Mrs. Jensen picked up? If not, where did you find it? It sounds really interesting. :)

LMW said...

I tried reading this book a year ago but I got bored. Maybe I should give it a try again. :D

Allison Stepan said...

Ya it's ms. jensen's........ the beginning is really slow but I think that you should try it haha! lol

Mrs. Jensen said...

haha! I agree with weather man. After the first chapter I didn't think I was gonna get through it, but I was stuck in Canada and didn't have anything else to read. I am SO glad I stuck with it. It gets really good. Weather man, you really did an awesome job reviewing this book. I totally agree with everything you said. P.S. I just ordered the second one for you because the book store didn't have it! ARG!

chocolatetot said...

i love this book! it was a great read!!!