Saturday, April 30, 2011


Jane Yolen's historical fiction book "The Devils Arithmetic" is not about math. It is actually about the very sad times of the Holocaust. This very moving book can be sad in parts, but even though it's sad, it is a great book.
Hannah is starting to dislike family gatherings. They are always about the past, and she couldn't care less about it. Little does she know, this year is going to be very different than all of the other years. As she opens the door for the prophet Elijah, she sees the unexpected. Out of no where, Hannah is in the past during the Holocaust with a different body, but the same mind. She then realized remembering things is important.
This book lacks details in some areas. I wanted to feel like I was there, but sometimes I just couldn't understand what it was like. Yet, in different parts, I did feel like I was there. It had moments that opened my eyes to how horrible and evil the Nazis really were. The word choice was effective, and most of it was explained well.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. It doesn't have many themes that I would worry about, and it's something everyone should read anyways so people can realize how bad the holocaust was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read this book, i really loved it. It really was amazing and I would also recommend it!!!

chocolatetot said...

I love this book! it has lots of fiction, and non-fiction in it, and also lots of history! i am glad that some one else reads historical book just like me!