Saturday, April 30, 2011

All's Fair in Love, War, and High School by Janette Rallison


What's one of the hardest things to do as a teenager? That's right: go to high school! All's Fair in Love, War, and High School by Janette Rallison is a creative, interesting book that portrays the difficult life of high schools students along with their endless troubles and worries. This story is somewhat fast-paced and can seem a little blunt at times, but it definately reinforces its main theme; the importance of kindness. Rallison showed herself to be a very talented author.

The story shows the complicated life of Samantha Taylor, a high school cheerleader who has a new boyfriend every month. For most of the book, she is mean, cliquish, and loves to hand out insults (though she can't handle them when they're thrown back at her). Samantha has a huge problem: she got an 810 out of 1600 on the SATs, and there's no way she'll get into the college she wants to go to. Her solution? Run for class president, of course! But during the crazy race to fame, Samantha has to deal with backstabbing friends, an insane bet, and her long-time crush coming back to town. It's all she can do to hang on to the impossible tidal wave of high school.

All's Fair in Love, War, and High School by Janette Rallison showed me how some high schoolers really need more help in studying for standardized tests, especially when they don't have enough support from family and friends. In this book, Samantha got a lower score on the SATs than she wanted, even though she paid attention in class most of the time. She obviously did not have the attention she needed from her teachers. I learned to help those who do not do very well in school because I feel terrible every time I imagine myself in a position similar to Samantha's.



I enjoyed reading this story and learning more about high school. This book was entertaining and funny, and I can't wait to read it again. I would definately suggest this book to anyone who likes books about the stereotypical high school cheerleader's journey trying to make herself a better person. It does have some unique and funny situations that set it apart from other books of its kind. I hope you like it as much as I did! Grade: A-

4 comments:

Kiersten said...

IS this book kind of childish or is more on our level?

Sombra Gato said...

It's more our level.

Lyssa said...

I hate it when people stereo-type. Like when people call me ginger. ;)

RikiRacoon said...

Hey Sombra Gato! I loved your review and it sounds like an awesome book! I'll have to borrow it from you sometime. But, I have a book to show you as well. I'm most-likely going to do my next book review on it. It's so freaking awesome!