Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Children of the Promise: Rumors of War

Rumors of War by Dean Hughes is a phenomenal book. This is the first out of four books. In this book, the characters learn a lot about themselves, others and World War 2. I'm not one to cry in movies or books, but this one really got to me.
In Rumors of War, an LDS missionary is serving in Germany. World War 2 is right around the corner and bad things are starting. Elder Thomas's only intention was to teach his faith to the people of Germany. He encounters a lot of challenges and hardships, but with letters from home and his companion, he's taught many lessons about life.

Elder Thomas is worried that he won't be able to finish his mission. War is on it's way. Mobs are setting synagogues on fire and the Nazis are always around. Watching. Waiting. Nobody knows how to escape them. Everyone can tell that in an instance, their whole world will be turned upside down. Elder Thomas has an idea on how it might affect him, but he still isn't sure how it's going to affect his family back home in Salt Lake City.

Back home, Elder Thomas's family is worried sick about their missionary. Elder Thomas has a little brother named Wally. Wally doesn't really care about anything. He's not that worried about his older brother or what might happen to him. Wally is careless. However, he wants to serve his country in the military. He can't decide. Wally has always wanted to follow his older brothers example and do everything he does. Is he going to choose the military...or serve a mission? Elder Thomas also has an older sister. Bobbi. She's having some troubles. Bobbie is worrying about her brother like the rest of her family and to add to her crazy college life she also has to decide who she's going to marry. Will it be the amazing Phil Clark....or the smart University of Utah college professor who's not a member of the LDS church like Bobbi and her family? Decisions. Decisions.

In Germany, war broke out. LDS missionaries had to leave the friends and families they have met and flee out of Germany and away from the Nazis. Elder Thomas feels bad that he couldn't stay and help the amazing people he was teaching. Elder Thomas is returned home and back to work in his fathers car company. Like other sad missionary stories, he finds out that his high school sweetheart got married while he was gone. He didn't get the job he was promised before he left and he still has to find a better job than the one he has. Things back home didn't turn out the way he expected. Elder Thomas listened to the radio every day to get the update on Germany. He didn't hear good things of course. Elder Thomas starts to get the idea of joining the air force and helping those he didn't get the chance to help earlier. Will he...????

I really enjoyed reading this book. It gave a good look at what happened during WWII. I would definatly recommend this book to others.

A







10 comments:

LMW said...

I saw this book once and I wasn't sure if I would like it. I think I'm definitely going to read it now! Thanks!

Keauna Bain said...

You should! It's so good! It's kind of slow at some parts...but that's like 1 time....You will love it! :)

Mrs. Nezbit said...

This sounds wayyyy good

Abby Marchant said...

I love WWII stuff! It creeps me out, and I love it! haha. But yeah, I totally want to read this!

Sam Sparks said...

This sounds really interesting and cool! Thanks Eugene!

Keauna Bain said...

haha! Flint. WWII is very interesting. I agree. Mrs. Nezbit. IT IS!(: Sam. Read it! I DARE YOU!haha! Oh. Sam....................

Abby Marchant said...

Sam!!! Oh my lanta, guess what? I laugh every time I see that picture of your face. And I just think of her saying, "I too was once. . . a nerd" "Too?" hahahaha.

LMW said...

Ok... I think I'm definitely going to read it now....!:D

U. N. Owen said...

it sounds terrific... very inspiring

X5-452 said...

I read this series and loved it. Great review!