Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gateway, by Sharon Shinn

Gateway, by Sharon Shinn is not the best book. It's just one of those books where you're always mad at the characters, because they are just so stupid, naive, dense and so on...
In this book the main character, a girl named Daiyu, is transported into a parallel world where she is recruited to send a charmingly devious tyrant back to his own parallel world. Along the way she falls in love, blows her cover, and emerges a hero in the end. Then returns to her world to find a shocking surprise, but if you ask me it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. This book was extremely predictable and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
A big part of this book was the author trying to get you to believe that all people are important and created equal. The girl is always trying to cross social lines in the strange world and that is what ruins her mission, blah, blah, blah.
Gateway is just one of those books that you don't really care what happens, but you're just interested enough to keep reading. I had a hard time getting to the part where the action started and the intro stopped.
The story line was simply boring and the events were unoriginal and pre-used. The names of people and places are about the most interesting thing about this book. Believe me, I'm not very interested in romance, but even I could tell you that the romance in this book really sucked.
I hope I don't offend anyone with my opinion, but if I do, I don't care. Overall it was a boring adventure, a crappy romance and a stupid story. I really had to force myself through this book, it was no good, so I'm giving it a D-.

4 comments:

U. N. Owen said...

it doesn't sound THAT bad... but that's just me just because you said it was horrible it makes me want to read it to see if you were wrong

The Emerald Eye said...

Believe me, I went easy on this book, it is horrible!!!

Mrs. Nezbit said...

sounds pretty good but i do not like being mad at a book so hahaha this is a maybe

Mrs. Jensen said...

How do you really feel? (he he). Question: Is their an Asian influence to this book? Also, I know exactly what you are talking about when you pick up a book and are annoyed by the idiocy of the characters and the predictability of the plot. I have seen this book and considered putting in my classroom library. I think I will refrain from doing so. Thanks for the heads up!