Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fablehaven

None who enter will leave unchanged. That is the promise told to you at the beginning of Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull. This fictional book provides you with imagination and new ideas.

Kendra and Seth were dropped off at their grandparents' house while their parents went on their own little trip. At first they're annoyed and bored. Although, after they realize that the fancy butterflies and birds in the garden are really intricate little fairies, they start to get different ideas about the place. The two grandchildren stayed at Fablehaven over midsummer's night. This is the night that all of Fablehaven breaks loose and all you can do is stay away and not look at the nightmares happening right outside your window. Seth was a rule breaker, so he didn't listen to his grandfather. This leads to disaster, and lives were put in peril.

Kendra follows rules to the nail. Her little brother, Seth, has never followed any rule besides gravity. Throughout the book, problems come with both personalities. For example, Seth's ordeal is obvious since not following rules can only mean trouble. He caught a fairy and kept it in a jar. It turned into a terrible little creature and turned Seth into a walrus! The next time Seth decided to break a rule, it almost killed his grandparents, himself, and the rest of the reserve!! Kendra has her own problems because some rules really are meant to be broken. There was a barn, absolutely prohibited, but Seth and Kendra knew they had to go in there. Kendra struggled to be disobedient, and kinda freaked out until Seth went up ahead with confidence and kicked down the door to get in. Her fear to break a promise made it harder to fight the fantasies in Fablehaven that haunted them.

Eventually both Kendra and Seth realized that rules can go either way, you just have to use your best judgment to know what is right or wrong. Their experiences in Fablehaven changed them for the better. It got Kendra past her fears, and kept Seth double checking his ideas.

I felt like this book was really good. It kept my interest, and kept promising more and more action with every step the characters took. I especially loved the part where Kendra had to go across the lake in her paddle boat. (I wont say why she is doing this in case some of you haven't read this book.) When the naiads tried to tip her and she fought back, they kept going on with it. Quickly, Kendra realized that her reactions were what made their game so fun. So she just stopped. She waited, and kept her patience over and over again. She finally reached her goal. I thought it was pretty funny how she didn't play back. She knew what they were thinking and worked around that. They teased her so she teased back, just in a more silent way.

This book was grand. It made me laugh, and think of times in my life where I can relate to it. I hope if any of you haven't read it, you will read it now. (P.S. this grade I'm giving it makes it seem worse than it is, I guess I'm just kinda picky about which books I give great grades to, ya know what I'm saying? Maybe not...) B+



4 comments:

The Longshot said...

I started reading this series a few years ago and I didn't really like it. Maybe I'll give it a second chance though.

live2run said...

maybe i just liked fablehaven so much compared to the last book i read. it was... not the best.

The Emerald Eye said...

sounds like I should read it...

LeBron James6 said...

I have read this book